Agriculture Research Development Program (ARDP) in the College of Engineering, Science, Technology and Agriculture (CESTA) at Central State University is seeking a postdoctoral scientist to serve for up to three years (with annual renewal pending successful completion of outputs) to fulfill obligations for a contract with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) characterizing smokeable hemp flower and hemp vape products. The candidate should have experience with smoke machines and analysis of compounds in smoke. Postdoctoral scientist is expected to design and perform procedures/techniques for the extraction and analysis of samples using standard wet chemistry methods and advanced analytical instrumentation. Samples will include, but are not limited to, plant tissues, extracts, and smoked material. Scientist is expected to supervise and mentor student researchers and assist with routine calibration and maintenance of laboratory equipment.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Cultivation of hemp material
* Manufacture of hemp cigarettes
* Operation of smoke machines and analytical equipment.
* Analysis of smoked hemp flower material
* Characterization of commercial hemp flower products
* Perform complex laboratory experiments to produce reliable and precise data to support scientific investigations
* Follow QA/QC protocols and design SOPs that are in compliance with Standard Methods
* Use LIMS for documentation of QA/QC/Standards/Research/Other samples
* Direct routine chemical and physical examination of samples
* Direct preparation of equipment, samples, reagents, media, and solutions for use in the laboratory
* Prepare all necessary reports and submit them to research faculty
* Ensure maintenance of chemical inventory and laboratory equipment
* Supervise laboratory housekeeping such as glassware cleaning, sample preservation and preparation, reagent water availability, sterilizer maintenance, and fume hoods
* Data entry, managements, and summarization
* Assist researchers with the statistically valid data analysis and interpretation
* Assistance with preparing research findings for presentations and publications
* Meet with research faculty or his assignee, weekly, to discuss work projects and outputs and assign priorities
* Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisors.