Scope of Position:
The Ohio State University Medical Centers mission is focused on integrating quality patient care, education, and research; the Nurse Manager leads a team of professional health care providers cultivating collaboration, enthusiasm, and mutual respect; creates and facilitates an environment that supports the nursing professional practice model; functions as a key member of the health care team that provides patient care and supportive services in an in-patient setting directed towards achievement of positive patient care outcomes, maximizing patients involvement in his/her own plan of care, improving service levels, reducing length of hospitalization, and decreasing costs; ensures patients and their families will experience the benefits of patient-focused care through the integrated skills of all care team members. The span of control for this position is based on unit capacity, unit complexity, and FTE oversight. Span of control will be based on the current evidence that supports patient satisfaction, quality and safety as well as staff engagement and resilience.Position Summary:
The Nurse Manager oversees plans, organizes, manages and evaluates patient care operations for a designated area(s) on a 24-hour basis; plans and develops strategic short, mid- and long-term goals and processes to enhance and improve the operations of the unit to support the Medical Centers mission, vision and values; evaluates and identifies achievements and problems in meeting goals; manages, guides, coaches, and evaluates the work performance of patient care staff in a designated area; promotes and ensures ongoing collaboration with other patient care departments and areas that relate directly or indirectly to patient care operations and services; develops, administers and manages unit budget plans; identifies, plans and initiates cost saving initiatives; participates in development of evidence-based standards of practice; identifies opportunities for improvement in patient care and organizational processes; assumes leadership in identifying and correcting factors contributing to problematic outcomes.Duties and Responsibilities:
95% of the time:Leadership
Knowledge of Healthcare Environment
- Leads and oversees the assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of the administrative supervisory and direct care activities for assigned staff.
- Demonstrates effective communication, problem solving, negotiating, and conflict resolution skills; promotes inter-professional collaboration and teamwork.
- Demonstrates a leadership style based on forming positive relationships, providing advocacy and vision, emotional intelligence, effective communication, staff empowerment and shared decision making
- Leads and promotes a healthy work environment /culture through quality leadership, access to resources (staff and supplies), shared decision making, ongoing professional development opportunities, teamwork and collaboration.
- Interviews, selects, hires, and mentors staff; oversees, leads guides, coaches, and evaluates the work performance of patient care staff in a designated area in collaboration with the assistant nurse manager; leads unit level succession planning.
- Promotes and ensures ongoing collaboration with other patient care departments and areas that relate directly or indirectly to patient care operations and services.
- Supports and leads the development and implementation of evidence-based standards of practice; demonstrates and role models evidence based decision-making.
- Promotes excellence in nursing through collaboration with key personnel to determine learning needs of staff; encourages and supports staff in achieving professional development and opportunities for advancement; monitors compliance with mandatory requirements and documentation of staff education.
- Conducts monthly communication forums such as staff meetings and daily staff huddles. Demonstrates effective problem solving, negotiating, and conflict resolution skills. Promotes Diversity, cultural competence and generational diversity
- Assures a culture of accountability and just culture is maintained throughout the department.
- Incorporates evidence-based practice in approaches to problem solving and decision-making.
- Effectively leads and manages change; serves as a change agent and change leader.
- Participates in and attends committees, task forces and special projects; exhibits and establishes consistency in meeting target dates for reports and project completion.
- Oversees and develops effective, efficient amp; innovative staffing models and staffing plans that ensure safe and high quality standards and outcomes for patient care; oversees compliance with staffing and productivity standards.
- Adheres to customer service standards and reinforces adherence of unit or area staff; anticipates and meets the needs of internal and external customers; investigates, determines and implements resolution of customer problems.
- Facilitates and ensures adherence to regulatory compliance standards such as TJC (The Joint Commission), ODH (Ohio Department of Health), and State of Ohio Board of Nursing Standards of Care.
- Oversees quality assessment and improvement activities at the unit level; identifies opportunities for improvement in patient care and organizational processes; identifies and resolves factors contributing to problematic outcomes of patient care and services; demonstrates accountability for achieving targeted thresholds in indicators displayed on the hospital and Nursing score card.
- Oversees and ensures staff competency including the completion of mandatory educational and health requirements, and licensure verification.
- Develops, administers and manages capital and operational productivity and efficiency. Manages resources to remain within established budget while continuously identifying and implementing cost saving initiatives. Ensures budget and department financial goals are met.
- Leads the processes of goal development, strategic planning and evaluation of goal achievement. Leads the development of short, mid and long-term goals with plans to facilitate/guide goal achievement which are consistent with the mission and values of the Medical Center. Involves staff in goal development, planning and evaluation. Revises plan based upon evaluation of progress toward goals. Assists Nursing Leadership in preparation of and submission of annual report.
- Leads unit based IT/Technology initiatives; understand effect of IT on patient care and delivery; uses information from IT systems to support business decisions
5% of the time: Assumes other duties as identified.Core Competencies
Effective performance of this role at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center requires that the Nurse Manager demonstrate core competencies in the area of customer focus, teamwork, job knowledge, and resource management. Job knowledge is demonstrated in the performance of primary duties and responsibilities while the remaining competencies address the manner in which the role is performed.
Customer Focus: Provides quality service to customers, including patients, families, other staff and the community.
Teamwork: Works effectively as a team member to achieve organizational and departmental goals
Resource Management: Makes effective use of available resources, including time, people, materials and financial resources Organizational Expectations:
Supports the nursing professional practice model. Practices within the Medical Centers policies and procedures, and Division of Nursing Standards of Practice. Maintains standards that promote patient safety. Demonstrates the OSUWMC Mission, Vision and Values. Minimum Qualifications for Hire:
Baccalaureate degree in nursing required, Masters degree in Nursing or related field is preferred. Current Ohio RN license. Minimum of three to five years of clinical and management experience in relevant care setting required. Holds a current certification in nursing administration or area of clinical expertise; or certification must be achieved within the timeline of eligibility. Prior leadership and management experience required. .