Scope of Position:
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Centers (OSUWMC) mission is focused on integrating quality patient care, education, teaching and research. The Assistant Nurse Manager (ANM) assists the Nurse Manager in leading a team of care providers to provide patient focused care through the integrated skills of all care team members. The ANM promotes a healthy work environment for the team while cultivating collaboration, enthusiasm, and mutual respect. The team provides patient care and supportive services utilizing the Nursing Professional Practice Model. Care is directed towards the achievement of positive patient care outcomes, maximizing the patient and family involvement in his/her own plan of care, increasing efficiency and decreasing costs.Position Summary:
The Assistant Nurse Manager (ANM) serves as an integral member of the Emergency Department leadership team. The ANM assists with the planning, organization, direction and evaluation of patient care operations for a designated area(s) on a 24-hour basis as required. The ANM is key in operationalizing the Medical Centers mission, vision, values and goals and assists in creating an environment that supports the nursing professional practice model. The ANM contributes to the ongoing operations of the Nursing Department. The ANM, under the guidance of the Nurse Manager, assists in managing, guiding, coaching, and evaluating the work performance of patient care staff in a designated area. Ongoing collaboration with other patient care departments/areas that relate directly or indirectly to patient care operations and services is essential.Duties and Responsibilities:
95% of the time:Manages the daily operations:
- Oversees the delivery of patient care by professional and support staff within the unit.
- Maintains compliance with staffing that supports patient acuity and meets productivity standards.
- Facilitates effective use of time, people, materials and financial resources.
- Assists in the identification of cost saving initiatives that maintain or improve quality of service.
- Assists in monitoring staff competency including the completion of mandatory educational and health requirements, and licensure verification.
- Ensures performance standards for staff are met.
- Adheres to customer service standards and reinforces adherence of unit/area personnel. Anticipates needs of internal and external customers. Assumes responsibility in assisting in the resolution of customer problems.
- Facilitates and assists in monitoring adherence to regulatory compliance standards (JCAHO, ODH etc.)
- Manages the quality improvement of the medical center, the service area and the individual patient care teams.
- Effectively communicates with patients, visitors, staff, physicians, peers, and other Medical Center personnel.
- Collaborates with clinical faculty in planning and coordinating student experiences.
- Serves as leader and manager in assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of the administrative supervisory and direct care activities for assigned staff.
- Participates in development and dissemination of evidence-based standards of practice.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement in patient care and organizational processes. Assumes leadership in identifying and correcting factors contributing to problematic outcomes (patient care and services).
- Promotes excellence in nursing through collaboration with key personnel to determine learning needs of staff. Supports staff in achieving professional development and opportunities for advancement. Monitors compliance with mandatory requirements and documentation of staff education.
- Demonstrates accountability for achieving targeted thresholds in indicators displayed on the Nursing Score Card.
- Collaborates with Unit Director in conducting monthly communication forums such as staff meetings and daily staff huddles. Demonstrates effective problem solving, negotiating, and conflict resolution skills. Promotes teamwork.
- Serves as a role model, motivates/mentors and inspires staff, and demonstrates flexibility and impartiality when dealing with others. Assists in the coordination of patient care teams. Assists in interviewing, selecting, hiring, coaching and counseling staff and assists in providing corrective action as needed.
- Participates in and assumes leadership role in committees, task forces and special projects. Attends committees 85% of time or greater. Demonstrates dependability in meeting target dates for reports and project completion. Independently seeks and participates in appropriate professional development activities. Remains up-to-date in current level of practice. Incorporates evidence-based practice in approaches to problem solving and decision-making.
- Provides input into development of unit budget plans. Assists in the evaluation of budget variances. Assists in planning and/or initiating cost saving initiatives.
- Assists in and supports, the processes of goal development, strategic planning and evaluation of goal achievement. Participates in developing short, mid and long-term goals with plans to facilitate/guide goal achievement which are consistent with the mission and values of the Medical Center. Involves staff in goal development, planning and evaluation. Revises plan based upon evaluation of progress toward goals. Assists Nursing Leadership in preparation of and submission of annual report.
- Assures a culture of accountability and just culture is maintained throughout the department.
5% of the time: Assumes other duties as identified.Core Competencies
Effective performance of this role at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center requires the Assistant Nurse Manager demonstrate core competencies in the area of customer focus, teamwork, job knowledge, and resource management. Job knowledge is demonstrated in the performance of primary duties and responsibilities while the remaining competencies address the manner in which the role is performed.
Customer Focus: Provides quality service to customers, including patients, families, other staff and the community.
Teamwork: Works effectively as a team member to achieve organizational and departmental goals
Resource Management: Makes effective use of available resources, including time, people, materials and financial resources Organizational Expectations:
Supports the nursing professional practice model, Practices within the Medical Centers policies and procedures, and Division of Nursing Standards of Practice. Maintains standards that promote patient safety. Demonstrates the OSUWMC Mission, Vision and Values. Minimum Qualifications for Hire:
Baccalaureate degree in nursing required, Masters in Nursing or related field is preferred. Current Ohio RN license. Two to three years of clinical experience in patient care setting required. Holds a current certification in nursing administration or area of clinical expertise; or certification must be achieved within the timeline of eligibility. Prior demonstration of leadership skills and related responsibilities.On-going:
Maintains current Ohio RN license. Retains professional certification in nursing administration or clinical area. Meet mandatory educational and health requirements. Maintains and seeks new knowledge related to patient care issues, quality improvement and cost reduction, current policies, procedures and protocols. Demonstrates computer skills required to perform job functionsJob RelationshipsSupervisory Responsibility:
Supervises and delegates to all personnel area of responsibility.Contacts/Customers:
Patients, family, community, all members of patient care team, physicians, other Medical Center staff both clinical and non-clinical. Responsible to:
Nurse ManagerPhysical/Visual/Mental Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to:
- Transport/move materials in order to perform job functions*
- Move objects weighing up to 10 pounds*
- Perform necessary duties while working with office equipment*
- Communicate clearly
: The work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which requires normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices and meeting rooms (i.e. use of safe work practices, avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signs). Note: The above statements are intended to describe the essential functions and related requirements of persons assigned to this job. They are not intended as an exhaustive list of all job duties, responsibilities, and requirements.
The Ohio State University Hospital Emergency Department offers the most advanced levels of emergency care from experts who have devoted their careers to emergency medicine. The University Hospital Emergency Department is:
- 86 beds with the ability to flex up to 120 total treatment spaces
- An adult Level 1 Trauma Center, certified to care for the most serious injuries
- Central Ohio's only verified adult burn center
- Staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week with stroke care specialists in our certified comprehensive stroke program
- Central Ohio's only hyperbaric medicine center with chambers available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Staffed with SANEs 24/7
- Working collaboratively with area EMS agencies to provide rapid care to suspected sepsis patients