World Resources InstituteThis position is remote-eligible and only for consideration within the United States where WRI is state registered. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission. WRI is unable to sponsor any visa work sponsorship for this position.Research Manager, Electric School Bus InitiativeAbout the Program:
Established in partnership with the Bezos Earth Fund, WRIs Electric School Bus Initiative aims to collaborate with partners and communities to build unstoppable momentum toward an equitable transition of the U.S. school bus fleet to electric by 2030, bringing health, climate, and economic benefits to children and families across the country and normalizing electric mobility for an entire generation.
In this role, you will work as part of a team of subject matter experts and be involved in research that will advance the goal of the initiative. Your work will inform senior project management and partner decision-makers by providing coordination and assistance across project research efforts. Note that all research work for ESBI centers equity.
You will be supported by those engaged in research for the Electric School Bus Initiative.
You will report to Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning, and Research Lead, Electric School Bus Initiative.
Depending on the location, this position can be fully remote from a state within the US where WRI is registered.What you will do:Manage Electric School Bus Initiative Research Portfolio (50%)
- Coordinate research work across ESBI, including equity-centered research design and initial budget and ongoing management.
Provide Direct Research Assistance (30%)
- Support teams in developing Scopes of Work for research partners to ensure they meet WRIs standards and the ESB programs needs, bringing in the right knowledge and skillsets. This includes ensuring that equity is centered in all research activities.
- Work closely with other areas across WRI such as the Research, Data, and Innovation team, as well as the Research & Knowledge Exchange and Strategy & Partnerships teams at WRI Ross Center to ensure high quality and aligned research.
- Provide guidance and direct support to equity-centered research activities such as data analysis, writing and visualization, instrument development, and research design.
Maintain Knowledge of and Advise Electric School Bus Initiative on Current Research (10%)
- Ensure that appropriate research methods are chosen or developed by all teams to answer the existing and emerging research questions.
- Build internal research capacity through assistance with training, especially among WRIs junior staff on the ESB Initiative and partner organizations.
- Review knowledge products such as guidebooks, tools, manuals, and web-based applications.
Develop and Maintain Research Agenda (10%)
- Maintain current knowledge of electric school bus-related research such as evidence on electric vehicle transition, air quality research, energy policy, school transportation, and equity and environmental justice as it relates to electric school buses.
- Help teams keep up to date on the latest literature developments, methods, and findings, that would be most relevant for the ESB Initiative.
- Identify knowledge gaps.
What you will need:Education:
- Articulate ESBIs research agenda for internal and external use, updating it as necessary.
- In coordination with others, identify potential research activities that will best advance ESBIs goal.
- Capture project learning.
You have a completed Masters degree in transportation, engineering, public policy, economics, political science, environmental studies, or related field, or a bachelor's degree with 2 additional years of relevant experience.Experience:
You have a minimum of 8 years full-time relevant work experience in related research and research management. Related research includes transportation, energy, policy, vehicle electrification, or air quality and the intersection of equity with these issues.
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative analytical skills applied to research and evaluation methods. Knowledge and experience using any statistics software is desirable.
- Knowledge of or experience conducting or managing equity-based approach to research.
- Sector-specific knowledge related to energy, climate change, sustainable cities, or electric mobility, in addition to experience with equity in research.
- Demonstrated experience in evidence-based research. Having participated in at least one project based on randomized control trials is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience working with a diverse set of community members from historically marginalized communities to address environmental justice or environmental equity issues. If the project was related to transportation or education, it would be a plus.
- Demonstrated experience conducting equity analyses, political economy analyses, baseline assessments, or similar project or program planning assessments.
- Demonstrated capacity in developing instruments for data collection and management. Interest and ability in communicating research results transparently.
Verbal and written proficiency in English.Requirements:
Existing work authorization is required for the United States. WRI is unable to sponsor visa work authorization for this position.Potential Salary: $79,000-$106,000
Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors. WRI offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.How to Apply: Please submit a resume with cover letter by the date of September 22, 2022.
Applicants mustapply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Long-term commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, aswell as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the worlds greatest environment and international development challenges and improve peoples lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.Our mission and values:
WRIs mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earths environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.Our culture:
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.
Please see job description