The Department of Biological Sciences at Central Washington University (Ellensburg, WA) seeks a colleague specializing in integrative biology or vertebrate anatomy or physiology to join the faculty in a tenure-track position beginning September 16, 2023. The successful candidate will have a strong commitment to teaching, research, and mentoring students at the undergraduate and Master's degree level. We encourage applications from candidates committed to providing students in our Biomedical Sciences undergraduate degree specialization with opportunities for academic and professional development, both within and outside a traditional classroom setting. Candidates should demonstrate an awareness of, and sensitivity to, the educational goals of a multicultural population gained through cross-cultural study, training, teaching, or other comparable experience in creating a learning environment that is welcoming, accessible, and inclusive for all students. Courses to be taught will be at the introductory and advanced levels in areas of vertebrate and human anatomy and physiology and other integrative systems courses within the candidate's area of specialization such as integrative anatomy, integrative physiology, cell biology, developmental biology, histology, or other elective courses in biomedical sciences. We also encourage applications from candidates who have had non-traditional career paths, taken time off for family reasons, or have achieved excellence in careers outside academia. Faculty will integrate CWU's commitment to diversity and create a learning environment that is welcoming, accessible, and inclusive for all students. For more information about the Department of Biological Sciences, see https://www.cwu.edu/biology/. Who we are:
We are a team of individuals committed to Changing Students' Lives. No matter what job, each of us plays a part in supporting and empowering our students to fulfill their dreams.
Working in higher education provides career growth and career choice. Think of a university campus like a mini city, operating across 380 acres. You'll find diverse academics, libraries, athletics and sporting events, full service and quick serve dining, conferences and events from small to large, recreation centers, housing for ~10,000 students, health services, police and public safety.
For the seventh time in eight years, CWU is a recipient of the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine. Come join us on our journey to encourage, inspire, and create spaces where all identities thrive on campus.
Tour our campus in Ellensburg here. www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjdhOegDa9AWhat we offer:
Our investment in you begins the day you join our team, a healthy and successful future for you is important to us. We offer medical, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, tuition assistance for you and your dependents, discounts across town, an employee assistance program for individualized counseling, and a wellness incentive program. Learn more: www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-perks-discounts.
- Ph.D. in a biology discipline or related field awarded by the position start date;
- Research expertise in an area of integrative biology or vertebrate anatomy or physiology;
- Demonstrated commitment to and/or experience in the use of inclusive teaching methodologies and approaches that will engage and inspire students from all racial, ethnic, and socio-economic groups to reach their maximum potential;
- Ability to engage and mentor undergraduate and Master's students in a research program that contributes to CWU's commitment to the engagement and inclusion of culturally diverse students;
- Demonstrated commitment to mentoring/advising a multicultural population to expand and enhance their educational experience and career goals within and outside traditional classroom settings in accordance with the university philosophy supporting diversity, equity, inclusion, and academic success.
- Experience in engaging and/or mentoring minoritized or underserved students in research, academic or professional opportunities, including programs designed to broaden participation of students in STEM;
- Experience or training in curriculum development, assessment, and improvement of existing courses.
- Experience or knowledge of, or commitment to, teaching cadaver-based anatomy labs;
- Postdoctoral or other post-graduate experiences;
- University-level teaching experience including as a teaching assistant
- Potential and interest in pursuing extramural funding for research/teaching.
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule Salary
: Commensurate with education and experienceAppointment
: Full-Time, Tenure-Track, 9 Month Appointment. Additional Summer teaching may be available. Central Washington University is on the quarter system with appointments from mid-September through mid-June. Benefits
: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance. http://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits Additional Information:
For additional information about the University, visit: http://www.cwu.edu
For additional information about Ellensburg, visit: http://www.myellensburg.com