The mission of The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center is to eliminate cancer in Texas, the nation, and the world through outstanding programs that integrate patient care, research and prevention, and through education for undergraduate and graduate students, trainees, professionals, employees and the public.SUMMARY
The primary purpose of the Computational Scientist is to develop programming, process, analyze, and interpret biomedical imaging results using computer-based imaging technologies, and support collaborators who are also analyzing small animal imaging studies and other imaging studies. Ensure compliance with software development best practices including, but not limited to, use of institutionally supported source control repositories, and, where feasible, alignment to the IS Division's procedures for development, code migration strategy, testing, and change control procedures.CORE VALUESCaring:
By our words and actions we demonstrate caring toward everyone.
- We are sensitive to the concerns of our patients, their loved ones and our colleagues.
- We are respectful and courteous to each other and practice cultural humility.
- We promote and reward teamwork and inclusion.
We work together with professionalism to merit the trust of our colleagues and those we serve in all that we do.
- We hold ourselves, and each other, accountable for our work - decisions and data - and for practicing our values and ethics.
- We advocate for diversity and equity for our workforce, for those we serve and for our community.
- We communicate frequently, honestly, openly and responsibly.
We embrace creativity and seek new knowledge from diverse perspectives.
- We encourage continuous learning, seeking out information and new ideas.
- We team with each other to identify and resolve problems.
- We seek personal growth and enable others to do so.
We provide a safe environment - physically and psychologically - for our patients, for our colleagues and for our community.
- We create a sense of security and empowerment and are committed to keeping one another free from harm.
- We embrace a framework and best practices for the highest quality of care and service.
- We inspire trust by modeling excellence in our work and acceptance of each person's contributions.
We protect and preserve our institutional reputation and the precious resources - people, time, financial and environmental - entrusted to us.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIESImage Analysis Research
- We prioritize the health and well-being of each other.
- We act responsibly to safeguard the institution's finances.
- We ensure the proper care and use of time, data, materials, equipment and property afforded to us.
Use advanced computational methods that analyze imaging results for biomedical applications that assess chemical and biochemical samples; small animal models of cancer and patients with cancer. Assist in designing the analysis methods, testing the analysis methods with a range of experimental results, and validating the outcome of the analysis methods. Optimize the processing of high volumes of imaging data.Image Analysis Production
Collaborate with research team members to process and analyze imaging results with advanced computational methods. Assist the research team members to interpret the results of the image analyses.Imaging Research
Participate in cancer imaging research studies, including image acquisitions of chemical and biochemical samples; small animal models of cancer and patients with cancer. Participate in optimizing the image acquisition methods especially to coordinate and synergize the image acquisitions and analyses.Imaging Methodology
Develop statistical methods to compare imaging methodologies. Assist in image signal processing and image processing using advanced computational methods for biomedical imaging research. Review imaging software packages for usage in the research program to produce optimal images for the research and its collaborators.Other duties as assigned COMPETENCIES
Analytical Thinking - Gather relevant information systematically; break down problems into simple components; make sound decisions.
Innovative Thinking - Approach problems with curiosity and open-mindedness; offer new ideas, solutions and/or options.
Technical/Functional Expertise - Demonstrate technical proficiency required to do the job; possess up-to-date knowledge in the profession; provide technical expertise to others.
, you understand that your ideas and contributions are valued. You promote the same for others. You address your own biases while promoting diversity and equity. (Competencies: Cultural Humility, Cultural Awareness, Cultural Intelligence)
, you see that you can serve as a leader whether you have a formal leadership role or not. You tackle problems, move past setbacks and hardships, and don't lose sight of your goals. (Competencies: Self-Confidence, Analytical Thinking, Innovative Thinking, Technical Expertise)
You demonstrate Professionalism
by setting the example for others and consistently modeling MD Anderson's values and service standards. You communicate effectively in a variety of ways. (Competencies: Inspire Trust, Oral Communication, Written Communication)
Through Emotional Intelligence
, you maintain awareness of your own emotions and the emotions of those around you. Use nonverbal cues and feelings to engage others in an inclusive and responsive way. (Competencies: Active Listening, Teaming, Self-Reflection)
means you are engaged in relentless learning. You constantly ask questions and stay curious. You understand that the organization constantly evolves, and you should as well. (Competencies: Develop Oneself, Adaptability)
Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Applied Mathematics or related field. Education preferred: Master's degree or PhD with a concentration in Science, Engineering or related field. Five years experience in scientific software development/analysis. With Master's degree, three years experience required. With PhD, one year of experience required. It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
- Requisition ID: 152457
- Employment Status: Full-Time
- Employee Status: Regular
- FLSA: non-exempt, eligible for overtime, and is subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Work Week: Days
- Fund Type: Soft
- Work Location: Hybrid Onsite/Remote
- Pivotal Position: Yes
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 81,000
- Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 101,500
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 122,000
- Science Jobs: No