Assistant Professor - MarketingJob no:
518311 Work type:
Instructional Faculty - Tenured/Tenure-Track Location:
San Jose Categories:
Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Tenured/Tenure-Track, Full Time, Faculty - Business/ManagementPosition Rank and Title:
Assistant Professor of MarketingSchool/Department Name:
Marketing and Business AnalyticsCompensation:
Commensurate with qualifications, experience, and rank as established by the CSU Salary Schedule . See Benefits Summary for details about the CSU's excellent employment benefits.Target Start Date:
August 17, 2023Application Deadline:
September 18 (Applications accepted until position is filled or closed)Position Description
The Lucas College and Graduate School of Business invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position in Marketing Strategy and Marketing Analytics beginning in Fall 2023. This position will be required to teach Marketing courses such as Marketing Communications, Marketing Management, Marketing Analytics, Entrepreneurial Marketing, and Automated and AI-Based Marketing to our undergraduate students and MBA/Executive Level audiences, and ideally should have research that is related to these areas.
The Department of Marketing and Business Analytics, located in Silicon Valley, is home to a large community of scholars and students. We are a balanced Department, and are searching for candidates who share our dedication to both quality teaching and research. We teach in the areas of marketing and business analytics at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Our research includes analytical, behavioral, strategic, and applied methodologies and interests. For more information, visit our website .
The Marketing and Business Analytics Department and San Jose State University value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Our excellence in research, teaching, and service can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. SJSU enrolls more than 36,000 students, many of whom are historically underserved, and around 45% are first-generation and 38% are Pell-recipients. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution. The university's commitment to social justice extends from its vibrant, inclusive campus to an international network of over 275,000 alumni. As such, San Jose State is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
Successful candidates will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to equity and inclusion through their research, teaching, and/or service. We ask that all applicants include a Diversity Statement with their application package. A guide to writing this statement can be found at SJSU Diversity Statement Guidelines , along with information about how these statements will be evaluated.
The focus is on potential for excellence in teaching and research in Marketing Strategy and Communications, Entrepreneurial Marketing, and Marketing Analytics. Teaching assignments will be at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Possess a Ph.D. by start of appointment and be academically qualified under AACSB standards.
- Demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural and socially diverse student population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching, and other comparable experience.
- Demonstrate the potential to conduct high quality research and publish in peer-reviewed journals on cutting-edge, rigorously examined topics.
- For those with teaching experience, provide evidence of teaching excellence at the university level.
- Demonstrate an ability to work in a collegial atmosphere as part of a team.
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A commitment to interact effectively with the business community in Silicon Valley.
- Faculty shall organize all their classes within the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS).
- Primary disciplinary needs are in the areas of Marketing Strategy and Communications. Secondary needs include Marketing Analytics, Entrepreneurial Marketing, and Automated and AI-Based Marketing. Teaching assignments are at both the graduate and undergraduate levels in traditional and accelerated formats.
- Candidate must be actively engaged in scholarly activities evidenced by for example publishing in peer-reviewed journals and presenting professional papers.
- The candidate will participate in shared governance, usually in department, college, and university committees and other service assignments.
- The candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity - in age, abilities, cultural background, ethnicity, religion, economic background, primary language, sexual orientation, gender identity, and academic preparation - through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
Note that all San Jose State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) and CSU systemwide policy, some faculty duties may lead to designation as a Campus Security Authority (CSA). CSAs are required to complete Clery Act training and to immediately report Clery incidents to the institution.
Select Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- letter of interest
- curriculum vitae
- diversity statement
- statement of teaching interests/philosophy
- research plans (one page)
- three reference letters with contact information
Inquiries may be directed to the Department Chair, Dr. Michael Merz at (see application details)Conditional Offer
The work for this faculty position is located in the State of California. Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Proof of immunization and booster shots against COVID-19 or proof of a medical or religious exemption and compliance with testing protocols is required for employment. Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current employee who was conditionally offered the position.San Jose State University: Silicon Valley's Public University
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley - one of the most innovative regions in the world - San Jose State University is the founding campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system and the first public university in the West. Recognized as a leading transformative educational institution, San Jose State is an essential partner in the technological, economic, cultural, and social development of Silicon Valley, the Bay Area, and California. SJSU is a top-200 school nationally in research funding and second highest in research productivity in the CSU system. Cutting-edge research, world-class scholarship, student-centered learning, diverse communities, and commitment to social justice, allow SJSU to provide life-changing opportunities and advance the public good locally and globally.
Equal Employment Statement
San Jose State University prohibits discrimination on the basis of Age, Ancestry, Caste, Color, Disability, Ethnicity, Gender, Gender Expression, Gender Identity, Genetic Information, Marital Status, Medical Condition, Military Status, Nationality, Race, Religion, Religious Creed, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sex Stereotype, and Veteran Status. This policy applies to all San Jose State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
Campus Security and Fire Safety Notification
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf . The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San Jose State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at (see application details) or by email at (see application details).
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is available at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at (see application details) or by email at (see application details).Advertised:
September 01, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time Applications close: