GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
Protein, Cellular, and Structural Sciences (PCSS) is a multi-disciplinary department of biochemists, biophysicists and data scientists within GSK R&D that produces engineered biological entities such as proteins and cells, as well as molecular insights from structural and biophysical techniques for both small molecule and biopharmaceutical medicine discovery programs.
In PCSS, we are building astate-of-the-art,high-throughput protein and cellular engineering platforms along with leading edge structural biology and biophysics to deliver biological entities and molecular insights at pace. These unique internal capabilities are coupled with strategic external partnerships to increase the speed and probability of successful medicine discovery programs.
Data generated by PCSS scientists both directly support discovery programs and feed our advanced predictive modelling and analytics capabilities. If you aim to be part of a globalcutting-edge medicine discovery organizationand are motivated to contribute towardsbringing lifesaving medicine to patients, join us!
Within PCSS, the Data & Analytics team works with business partners across the enterprise to ensure that our data gets to the right place and the right time, and that PCSS scientists are equipped with the tools, skills, predictive models and descriptive analytics they need to accelerate our science and increase the probability of successful medicine discovery. We are seeking highly motivated individuals to join the PCSS Data & Analytics team and work with us to achieve these goals.
In this role, you will be a member of a highly skilled team of data professionals responsible for PCSS data and analytics. You will operate in multidisciplinary teams to deliver real impact by developing data tools, analyses and visualizations that accelerate our science. You will also collaborate with other data professionals across the enterprise to leverage GSK's world leading data and computational platforms. You will be working in a matrix team, and therefore, the role will suit someone with good interpersonal skills and strong ability to solve complex problems. The candidate should be self-motivated and have an open mindset.
Key responsibilities may include:
Why you?Basic Qualifications:
- Develop data tools, analyses and visualizations by working with scientists to enhance end-to-end scientific processes from experimental design to data product.
- Integrate diverse and complex scientific data (e.g. sequencing data, protein structure, biophysics data) into the analytics-ready PCSS data product.
- Collaborate with external groups in the development of software solutions and serve as an advocate for scientists in PCSS that will be using these systems.
- Facilitate implementation and adoption of data solutions in PCSS by serving as a lead user and assist with training PCSS scientists in key data skills.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor's degree and 1 to 2 years work experience in any mathematics, science or engineering discipline
- Must be able to work a hybrid schedule. Onsite presence is required; this is not a remote position.
- Experience in one or more programming languages (e.g. Python, R, JS, SQL, C/C++)
- Experience in assembling, analyzing, and visualizing complex scientific data
- Experience in building relationships with key stakeholders, work in teams with diverse perspectives (e.g. multidisciplinary teams), while being able to translate data requirements between bench scientists and data/IT professionals
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- MS or 3 to 5 years work experience in any mathematics, science or engineering discipline
- Understanding of bioinformatics data types and common tools used for their analysis
- Passion for the design and delivery of transformational medicines
- Practical knowledge of molecular biology, cell biology, recombinant protein production, protein characterization and structure determination, drug discovery, and the data associated with these.
- Experience with high-performance and/or cloud computing (GCP preferred)
- Experience developing and applying machine learning algorithms for biological data
- Ability to perform business analysis and gather data/software requirements
- Knowledge of Agile software development methodologies
- A proactive, self-motivated and flexible approach with a talent for multitasking and adapting to change
- Strong organizational and communication skills (both written and oral), with the ability to liaise with scientists and external collaborators at all levels
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader in Consumer Healthcare, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the most significant changes we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and genetics science; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent, and technology to get ahead of disease together - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; and as a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culture that isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership of goals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at this exciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.