The Scientist will be responsible for supporting manufacture of materials for Viral strain change within the Vaccine Research and Development - Early Bioprocess Development group. This individual will execute activities required to manufacture DNA template, RNA drug substance, antibody purification, and LNP drug product to support strain changes as required. Responsibilities will include UF/DF, affinity chromatography, column packing, testing and analysis of in-process samples. The Scientist will be expected to summarize, evaluate the study results, and document the recovery of purification processes. It is also expected that the incumbent will perform analysis/ characterization of isolated macromolecules with various bioanalytical methodologies. Careful documentation of work and presentation of data is required. ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Compliance with all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Responsible for generating batch records and in-process data. Works directly with analysts to actively trouble-shoot activities.
- Complete all required trainings in compliance with departmental requirements and follow appropriate safety practices in the workplace.
- Protein A and Protein G purification of polyclonal and other antibodies.
- Column packing of affinity columns.
- Collaborate with colleagues within Vaccine Research and Development organization including Bioprocess Fermentation, Analytical, and Formulation Development groups.
- Perform downstream processing of vaccine products and critical reagents.
- Perform assays on vaccine products, process intermediates, and related experimental samples using biochemical/analytical tests.
- Prepare solutions/reagents.
- Present problems and propose solutions in discussions with group members.
- Plan and prioritize related recovery / purification activities.
- Perform timely notebook entries and review for completed experiments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BS degree in chemical engineering, biochemistry, biology, chemistry, or other related degree concentration with 5-8 years of relevant experience, or a MS degree with 2 years of relevant experience.
- Prior experience with bio-processing/purification.
- Experience running chromatography experiments with AKTA systems using UNICORN software.
- Proficiency with personal computers including word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint and relevant scientific software is desirable.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, self-motivation, adaptability, and a positive attitude.
- Ability to learn new techniques, keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with SOPs.
- Proven ability to work independently in hands-on laboratory setting.
- Knowledge and ability to independently execute purification / recovery activities.
- Proficiency and ability to utilize various techniques such as FPLC / HPLC, UV-Vis, to isolate and, when necessary, characterize purified vaccine candidates.
- Familiar with analytical methods including SDS-PAGE and HPLC assays.
Standard laboratory conditions - sitting, standing, primarily lab based
Work Location Assignment: On Premise
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development