Axent Biosciences is seeking passionate, highly motivated, and talented individuals to join our mission to revolutionize stem cell-based therapies. In this full-time Research Associate role, the successful candidate will work with the assay development team in the iconic Bakar Labs to support Axent's scalable cell manufacturing platform by analyzing the quality of our cell products through established cell-based analytics and new assay development. The candidate should have a passion for working collaboratively with biologists, bioengineers and chemical engineers to help develop high-quality stem-cell derived products for next-generation therapeutics. Additionally, the candidate would bring experience with cell-based analytical assays. The candidate will be part of a team characterizing novel cell-based products to address clinical needs and will have numerous opportunities for professional growth in a rapidly evolving biotechnology start-up, which includes growing into a leadership role of increasing responsibilities.
* Run assays such as cell viability, flow cytometry, immunocytochemistry and qPCR for the characterization of cells.
* Assess hPSC-derived cell products by cell-type-specific marker expression & functional characterization.
* Assist in the optimization of existing analytical processes and the development of new assays.
* Interact with research and development teams to troubleshoot existing processes and develop new ones in a creative, interdisciplinary and collaborative environment.
* Maintain accurate records of research in electronic lab notebooks, prepare drafts of new protocols, and deliver formal scientific presentations and reports internally to interdisciplinary teams and supervisor(s).
* Due to the nature of stem cell cultures, weekend and/or evening hours may be necessary.
Required Skills and Background:
* B.S./M.S. with relevant lab and/or industrial experience in cell biology, stem cell biology, molecular biology, neurology, bioengineering, or a related discipline.
* Familiarity with cell-based analytics, including qPCR and methods involving cell staining (flow cytometry and/or immunocytochemistry).
* Experience with statistical methods for data analysis is a plus.
* Hands-on experience running cell-based and/or protein-based analytics is a plus.
* Experience with technical transfer to quality team is a plus.
* Experience developing standard operating procedures (SOPs) and/or technical reports is a plus.
* Excellent teamwork, oral/written communication, time management, analytical, critical thinking, record-keeping, and organizational skills.
* High scientific integrity, committed to ethics and scientific rigor.