Job DescriptionWho We Are:
ICMA is at the core of creating better communities. Serving more than 13,000 members globally, we are the world's leading association of professional city and county managers and other employees who serve local governments.
At ICMA, we take the concept of local government leadership and management further into the future. Through our mission and passion to advance professional local government, we help communities deliver innovative services, empower resident engagement, enable economic development, strengthen leadership, uphold ethics, and provide forward-thinking management.
We ensure a diverse and inclusive workplace by welcoming people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives and by learning from each other, individually and collectively. A Great Opportunity:
Do you enjoy research and writing on diverse topics and does helping local government leaders worldwide foster resilient, innovative, and equitable communities excite you?
ICMA is seeking a Senior Research Associate to serve as a key content contributor to major thought leadership initiatives, with a particular emphasis on providing a global perspective to local government management issues. The selected individual will join a small local government research and content team that develops research-based knowledge products and provides subject matter expertise to cross-cutting thought leadership efforts.
The Senior Research Associate reports to the Director, Survey Research.
The anticipated salary range for the Senior Research Associate is $68,900 to $86,100.
The salary offered will be based on the candidate's experience.What You'll Do:
What You Need To Be Successful In This Role:
- Support development of ICMA's research agenda in alignment with annual and emergent association-wide priorities, including the Local Government Reimagined initiative and the Global Engagement strategy; provide leadership in applying a global perspective to the research agenda
- Design and execute qualitative and quantitative research activities; author reports, case studies, briefs, articles, survey summaries, and other content based on research findings, alone and in partnership with other ICMA staff, members, academics, and other external researchers
- Support the research and content development needs of ICMA business lines including membership, outreach, events and sponsorships, and technical assistance
- Manage overall workflow of research activities and projects by regularly assessing priorities, anticipating next steps, and providing updates to the team; manage the finances and deliverables of externally-funded research projects, and prepare budgets and manage project burn rate
- Develop grant proposals for federal, foundation, and other potential funders to support ICMA research activities
- Bachelor's degree
- Five plus years of relevant experience and competencies in social science research, public administration, public policy, political science, planning, or a related field; experience working with or for local governments preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs):
- Master's degree in related field or equivalent level of study
- Prior experience working for or with local governments
- Experience with proposal writing and business development
Physical Requirements/Work Environment:
- Clear and effective written and oral communication skills
- Skilled in social science research methods and analysis
- Knowledge about local government operations, structures, and policy issues in domestic and international contexts
- Skilled in problem solving, decision making, and in managing and coordinating multiple simultaneous projects and initiatives
- Ability to adapt to changing constraints and priorities
- Interpersonal skills to build and work with cross-functional teams, members, and external partners in a decentralized office environment
- Strong proficiency in MS Office applications, especially Excel and Teams; familiarity with virtual communication platforms and with survey and statistical software
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What We Can Offer You:
- Work is typically performed in an office environment free from hazards or unpleasant environmental conditions.
- Work requires travel up to 5% of time, primarily within the U.S.
- Remote work environment
- A collegial working environment where teamwork and individual contributions are valued
- A competitive salary
- A comprehensive benefits package that includes employer sponsored health, dental, life, disability, and employee assistance benefits
- Paid time off to include vacation, sick leave, holidays, and floating days
- Generous retirement plan
- Opportunities for ongoing professional development
This position is based out of ICMA's headquarters, located in Washington, D.C. At this time, all ICMA staff are working remotely. The selected individual must be able to work the core business hours from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm EST. Travel domestically and internationally may be required. The selected candidate m ust be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship, now or at any time in the future. As a federal government contractor subject to Executive Order 14042, ICMA requires its Colleagues to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they are approved for a reasonable accommodation based on a disability (including a medical condition) or sincerely-held religious belief that prevents them from being vaccinated. Colleagues must provide proof of full vaccination prior to their start date or obtain a legally-required accommodation from the vaccination requirement. EEO Statement:
At ICMA, we strive to promote and sustain a culture of diversity, inclusion and belonging every day. ICMA is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate in recruiting, hiring or promotion, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or on any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local law. We proudly support and encourage people with military experience (active, veterans, reservists and National Guard) as well as military spouses to apply for ICMA job opportunities.