Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience
Position Details: Randolph-Macon College invites applications for a full-time tenure-track position of Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience to begin September 1, 2023.
Institution Information: Randolph-Macon College, founded in 1830, is a selective, primarily residential liberal arts college with an enrollment of 1500 students located in the northern suburbs of Richmond, Virginia. It is 90 miles south of Washington, DC and 15 miles north of Richmond. The College seeks employees committed to advancing inclusion and equity and to cultivating a community that welcomes all people, regardless of race, gender, disability, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or gender expression. Of special interest are candidates who can further the College's efforts to foster diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The Department of Psychology and Neuroscience is devoted to dynamic teaching, active research including undergraduates and engaged college citizenship. Psychology is a hub discipline, and Randolph-Macon is a small and interconnected place, so we all value interdisciplinary research and teaching while participating in the wider college and beyond. We seek candidates who are eager to contribute to core functions of the department, but we also welcome unique interdisciplinary and applied interests.
Major/Essential Functions: Randolph-Macon College faculty teach, advise, conduct research and engage in scholarship, and serve the college and department. Primary teaching responsibilities will include courses in Clinical Psychology, but contributions to general education, such as Introduction to Psychology, Research Methods and courses in Written and Oral Communication in Psychology are also valued.
• PhD in Clinical or Counseling Psychology (or a related field); we will consider candidates who have achieved ABD status and who will complete their degree by August 1, 2023;
• Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching and/or evidence of a commitment to undergraduate teaching;
• Demonstrated commitment to pedagogical methods that enable students across racial, ethnic, and socio-economic groups to reach their maximum potential.
• Demonstrated engagement in scholarship in clinical and/or counseling psychology
• Experience and/or willingness to teach courses that may include:
o Counseling or Community Psychology
o Other upper level courses in Clinical Psychology
o Research Methods or advanced statistics courses
o Psychology or special topics courses that might be included in the departments or the college's interdisciplinary programs, such as the new Black Studies major, Gender, Sexuality and Women's Studies, or the Honors Program
• Contributing to the wider college and community through advising, mentoring and service
• Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds
• Evidence of ability to engage undergraduates in an active research program
Sabrina Granderson is providing administrative support for this search, please direct questions to her at SabrinaGranderson@rmc.edu or (804) 412-1559. The documents that must be uploaded, in one single PDF file, include the following:
• Letter of application that addresses the position qualifications;
• Curriculum vitae;
• A brief (one page) statement of teaching philosophy;
• A brief (one page) statement of research interests;
• A brief (one page) statement describing past, present, and future (planned) contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion
• Transcripts (scanned copies acceptable); and
• The names and contact information for three professional references (at least one must be able to address commitment to undergraduate teaching; please indicate the teaching reference in your letter of application). Please do not ask references to submit letters of recommendation; the committee will conduct reference checks by phone.
Completed applications will begin to be reviewed on December 1st. While applications may be accepted after this date, it is not guaranteed that they will be considered. At this time, please only upload the required documents listed above. Incomplete applications will not be considered by the search committee.
Randolph-Macon College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, disability, or veteran status in its education or employment programs or activities.
PandoLogic. Keywords: Assistant Professor, Location: Alexandria, VA - 22303 , PL: 554646718