Location: Rochester, NY area
The Director leads and directs the Pollution Prevention Program, a statewide technology development, transfer, and assistance center whose mission is to make New York State more environmentally sustainable for businesses, workers, and the public through more efficient use of raw materials, energy and water, and reductions in toxic chemical use, emissions to the environment and waste generation. It's an integrated program of several major elements: direct technical assistance to industry and organizations; research, development, and diffusion; outreach and education; a community grants program; and support of New York State's Small Business Environmental Assistance Program, climate action plan, and other initiatives.
This role will contribute to success by delivering quality work in the following service areas:
* Engage New York State industry and organizations for the purpose of providing direct assistance in the areas of toxic chemical use reduction, process improvement, and resource conservation;
* Research, develop and transfer pollution prevention (P2) technologies to NY companies;
* Assist NYS companies with introducing green technologies to the market;
* Help companies achieve sustainable supply chain goals, including sustainability, zero waste and management system planning;
* Develop P2 assessment tools and deliver P2 training to businesses, technical assistance providers, and community organizations;
* Provide research and technical support to the MEPs;
* Develop and implement P2 priority setting and performance tracking programs to maximize program effectiveness; and
* Provide grants to community projects that help to achieve pollution prevention
* Lead and support development of strategies and plans for institute
* Provide and promote high standards of professionalism, integrity and leadership
* Supervise program managers in the planning and execution of the Institute's programs, including technical assistance, sustainable supply chain assistance, green technology acceleration, outreach & education, research & development, community grant, and other programs
* Lead development and execution of new research programs with industry and government sponsors in beyond NYS DEC in collaboration with the Associate Director and research staff
* Develop the Institute's annual workplan and oversee all workplan activities to ensure deliverables are met
* Engage Partner Universities to support the Institute's annual workplan
* Collaborate with MEPs in support of direct company assistance and sector outreach projects
* Work closely with the NYSDEC to ensure efficient delivery of programs and alignment with NYS priorities
* Create, review and provide guidance to reports and presentations
* Evaluate proposed projects to ensure alignment with institute priorities and goals
* Stay abreast of the State's environmental challenges and opportunities, and explore solutions, potentially developing new programs and initiatives that lead to improved environmental outcomes for NYS
* Work with the senior staff to develop and collaborate on projects with mutually aligned goals and promote multidisciplinary approaches to problem solving, leveraging the broader resource pool
Stakeholder Outreach and Facilitation
* Establish and maintain relationships with partners, industry, government, non-government organizations and other important stakeholders
* Travel throughout New York State to promote the Institute, encourage environmental stewardship, and engage with partners, stakeholders, and thought leaders on a regular basis, out of state travel may be required on occasion
* Recruit members to, and facilitate the meetings of, a diverse, multi-interest Advisory Board
* Communicate priorities to the Institute's Technical Advisory Committee
* Work with NYSDEC and the Advisory Board to identify priorities, determine targeted industry sectors, and gain insight into emerging focus areas; oversee the analysis of targeted industry sectors and other focus areas
* Manage a current total annual budget of approximately $4 million; pursue additional funding sources and develop proposals to grow and ensure continuity
* Effectively utilize program funding to optimize activities while remaining within budget
* Periodically review and plan finances with the Finance Director
* Develop operational budgets for yearly funding
Communications and Marketing
* Oversee the Institute's marketing activities, providing direction on messaging and guidance to marketing staff in development of a comprehensive communications and marketing plan/approach
* Represent at regional, state-wide, and national conferences, events, symposia, and meetings; introduce concepts, tools and skills for pollution prevention adoption and implementation
* Deliver presentations to a wide range of audiences that promote pollution prevention and services
* Lead team of approximately 12-15 full-time and part-time staff and grow the team with the Institute
* Assess resource needs, coordinate and hire staff resources
* Motivate, develop and sustain a cohesive, collaborative team, including performance goal setting and evaluation; mentor staff
The required minimum degree is a Master's degree in a technical field of study (i.e. engineering, chemistry, environmental studies, sustainability, or related fields) PhD strongly preferred.
* Demonstrated knowledge of engineering, science, green chemistry, environmental science or sustainability, in addition to project and business management principles, methods and techniques.
* A minimum of 10 years related work experience is required.
* Must have a minimum of five years of experience in a technical P2, green chemistry, environmental science or sustainability position, in addition to experience in a leadership role with supervisory responsibility.
* Must have experience in the following areas: project/program management, technical assistance and training, P2 technologies/approaches, manufacturing and/or P2 assessments.
* Experience in environmental regulatory compliance and management systems will also be considered.
* Experience with proposal development and securing grant funding.
* Experience working with state and/or federal funding and contracting processes preferred.
Specialized Skills Required
* Highly motivated and self-directed
* Strong oral and written communication skills
* Knowledge and ability to work with a variety of persons and organizations having diverse issues, concerns, and agendas
* Knowledge and ability to coordinate meetings, deliver presentations and collaborate with stakeholders
* Knowledge and ability to lead; think creatively; proactively adapt to changing environment; act decisively, and inspire and empower others
* Demonstrated in-depth knowledge and expertise in pollution prevention and sustainable consumption and production
* Project organization and management skills
* Effective verbal communication and public speaking skills
* Comfortable working with clients, sponsors, stakeholders, and partners at all levels, including C-suite
PhD strongly preferred.
For immediate consideration, email email@example.com and mention Job# 17407. Check out www.scientificsearch.co m for all of our openings.