The Twist Process Development team is taking synthetic biology to the next level by developing a revolutionary and scalable technology of oligo, DNA and protein synthesis for sustainability and healthcare. The Process Development group at Twist is a diverse set of individuals who tremendously impact all Twist products and processes. We are looking for an exceptional candidate for Senior Director to lead and shape the team.
As a Senior Director, R&D/Process Development, you will own the development of scalable and robust solutions for a variety of DNA products. These solutions will be an interesting combination of hardware, software, chemistry and biological systems. In doing so, you will drive the development of these solutions from conception, design, bring-up and validation, taking these systems all the way into a production environment.
Specific Responsibilities include
* Oversee the development, transfer, release and post-release monitoring of processes used to manufacture new products to operations teams (including physical lab processes and lab software).
* Interact cross functionally with R&D, Operations, Program Management, QC, QA, Engineering, Software and other teams to communicate technical details and completion timelines to drive decision making.
* Work with internal and external customers on projects and evaluate customer designs for feasibility; evaluate opportunities for product line fit in line with strategic vision.
* Work with the executive staff on the development and execution of strategic initiatives.
What You'll Be Doing
* Provide strategic direction, scientific leadership, and oversee critical decision making for the Process Development team for the development of new products from concept phase to commercial launch.
* Identify and drive process improvement projects, product maintenance activities, and tech transfer to new sites for existing product workflows to achieve cost effectiveness and sustain product quality.
* Oversee the identification and resolution of complex technical or operational issues. Lead internal task forces and short-term deep dive projects as needed.
* Ensure projects stay on track by running or attending recurring project status meetings, assigning owners and due dates, and following up on progress. Remove blockers for the team. Monitor project timelines based on the group's current and future workload; rapidly assess new product opportunities and re-prioritize team's work as needed.
* Partner with cross-functional leaders to communicate project details and completion timelines to drive decision making.
* Collaborate in a fast-paced environment across multiple functional areas in the US, Europe and Asia.
* Select, manage, mentor, evaluate and grow the team to meet business growth and corporate goals.
What Y ou'll Bring to the Team
* PhD preferred with 10+ years post-graduate industry experience in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Genomics, Bioengineering, Chemistry or closely-related field with 5-8 years experience leading teams and proven track record of developing products for commercial launch and transferring processes to production teams in ISO, CLIA, or GMP environments.
* Expert level synthetic and molecular biology knowledge including DNA assembly, construct design, purification, quantification, PCR, enzymatic assays, and molecular cloning.
* Experience with Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) platforms and technologies and hands-on experience with various NGS library preparation methods and sequencing applications (WGS, WES, single-cell sequencing, etc.) and familiarity with statistical methods and software (JMP, R, etc.).
* Experience conceptualizing and developing molecular biology workflows and experience with lab automation and high throughput systems is required.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Able to present data effectively and ability to communicate effectively to multiple audiences from a wide range of backgrounds and drive change in the organization through influence, often across teams and departments.
* Experience writing requirements for LIMS/MES or writing SQL queries.
* Thrives working in fast-paced environments. Strong self-initiative and persistence with a strong drive for action; able to deal with a high degree of ambiguity and drive clarity. No job is too big or too small.