The University of Southampton is a world-leading, research-intensive university, with a strong and high-quality educational offering. We are renowned for our innovation and enterprise and are within the top 1% of universities worldwide.
The University of Southampton is seeking to appoint a Business Performance Analyst to support our ambitious income growth plans as part of our Research and Enterprise Strategy. The post is situated within the Research Hub team, part of the Finance Planning & Analytics Directorate, who provide support for the academic community on research applications, awards, and grant administration. The University has recently introduced a new research administration system and is looking to make the most of the opportunities this rich data source now provides.
The role will lead the provision of financial and operational performance reporting, data analysis, modelling and interpretation for Research and Knowledge Exchange and Enterprise (KEE) activities across the University. The postholder will need to work across a wide variety of stakeholders and data sources and contribute to the wider systems and MI development framework. Key responsibilities include:
Provision of monthly and quarterly Research & Enterprise reporting and presentation packs including commentary and insights
- Development and monitoring of operational efficiency metrics for Research Support Teams
- Supporting the annual business planning cycle through analysis and interpretation of competitor and market data, highlighting opportunities and risks
- Continued development of our key performance indicators within our Research Economy
- Ensure robust data integrity measures are in place and that adequate system maintenance procedures are known and developed across the relevant teams
The post holder will present analysis and recommendations resulting from the activities above to a variety of audiences ranging from the University executive, senior decision makers, heads of professional services alongside users in Faculty and Professional Services.
Prospective candidates will be highly analytical and systems literate, confident in working with and drawing together varied sources of information to deliver clearly articulated recommendations for use by senior stakeholders. The successful candidate will have:
What we can offer you
- Excellent IT skills, particularly advanced MS Excel and PowerPoint, with exposure to Power BI an advantage
- Experience in numerical forecasting and scenario modelling
- High level of written and verbal communication skills including ability to communicate new and complex information effectively
- Exposure or experience in managing multiple large data sets effectively
- Ability to manage a broad range of competing demands and activities
- Strong stakeholder management skills within a matrix organisation
As a university we aim to create an environment where everyone can thrive and are proactive in fostering a culture of inclusion, respect and equality of opportunity. We believe that we can only truly meet our objectives if we are reflective of society, so we are passionate about creating a working environment in which you are free to bring your whole self to work.
With a generous holiday allowance as well as additional university closure days we are committed to supporting our staff and students and open to a flexible working approach. All our benefits can be viewed here.
We aim to be an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.