Cardio-metabolic diseases result in the loss of about 17.9 million lives each year. The Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disease Area (CVM) of the Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (NIBR) is committed to changing this alarming statistic by discovering transformative medicines to treat cardiovascular and metabolic disorders.
As Associate Director, Global Program Management (GPM), Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases (CVM), you provide program management leadership to complex CVM programs. In close partnership with the Project Team Leader (PTL), you drive developing and executing the integrated strategic and operational plans for global drug development programs from preclinical to ph2 development decision point. May consider Manager level based on experience.
Your main accountabilities will be:
• Play strategic role in building project strategy, development plans with options, risk mitigation and contingencies
o Use drug development expertise to integrate knowledge of all line functions for project
o Actively challenge teams to apply best practices and creativity
• Accountable for advancement of project
• Manages LMW and / or biologics projects across multiple phases, and of local or global scope; participates in non-pipeline projects / initiatives
• In partnership with the Project Team Leader (PTL), enables and drives the project strategy development; assures continuous consistency of the operational plan with project strategy.
• Together with the project team, responsible for generation and maintenance of the integrated project plan (option development, risks analyses and risk mitigation plans, contingencies, designs alternatives and opportunities identifications, decision tree generation, timing), for identification of activities on the critical path, for ensuring execution of all cross-functional project activities
• Together with PTL prepares and reviews project documentation for decision making board meetings according to current guidelines
• Builds alliances with Project Team Members that engender trust.
• Works with team members to identify key issues and brings to project team for deliberation and decisions
• Works in partnership with PTL to drive high performing teams based on the expertise and contributions of its members shared responsibility and the coordination of work towards a common goal. Strives for the alignment of team members, project goals and global functions.
• With and without the assistance of facilitators, guides newly formed teams through the team development process to become “High Performing Teams”
• Serves as neutral facilitator, communicates openly and timely, horizontally and vertically in order to achieve transparency of project progress and lead to resolve conflicts in good faith
• Applies knowledge of the industry, Project management and the competitive environment
• Coaches core team members for optimal project progression when needed
• Organizes and chairs project team meetings and issues high quality agendas and meeting minutes in a timely fashion
• Ensures internal portfolio systems are accurate and regularly updated
• Accountable for monthly cross-functional project overview for respective projects
• Provides key information to Project Management TA Head to update project status and impact on DA portfolio (timelines, budget, resources, issues, etc.)
• Develops working relationships with DA/TM Heads, and PSD
• Influences DADB members, project teams and into the wider organization
• Resolves problems and escalates issues appropriately
Project management Leadership
• Provides Project Management leadership in the areas of planning, tracking, problem-solving, risk management and plan execution in line with project team goals.
• Actively identifies and develops best practice for project management and implements accordingly
• Facilitator of Project Launch and Strategy Workshops, capable of training others on Project Management topics
• Acts as strong supporter of organizational change, delivering changes through project teams; participates in initiatives to identify, develop and implement organizational change within and outside of GPM
• Mentors and coaches Project Managers and Team Members as requested
• Prepares and manages own development plan
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $144,000.00 and $216,000.00 per year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you will bring to the role:
• Advanced scientific degree (MSc, PhD, PharmD, etc.) with a background in other Pharma discipline (Discovery, Pre-clinical, Clinical, Pharmacokinetics, Regulatory etc.)
• Knowledge of disease area advantageous
Language / Communication
• Fluent English (oral and written), other languages are an additional asset
• Strong verbal and written communication
• Excellent interpersonal and information management skills
Relevant Experience and skills
• 5+ years drug discovery/development experience in a cross functional setting
• Relevant professional experience in Pharma or biotech industry and in drug development project management
• Experience in later stage drug development is a plus
• Demonstrated experience in leading / managing and driving cross-functional teams
• Experience in matrix and/or direct people management role with demonstrated ability to influence without authority successfully
• Expert in all aspects of team behaviors; drives conflicts resolution in teams; good ability to modulate style
• Advanced skill in facilitating/optimizing the contribution of diverse team members as individuals and as a team
• Capable of quickly gathering high-level understanding of complex technical, medical and scientific issues
• Demonstrates a global mindset and cultural awareness
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network