Job SummaryBusiness, the global economy, and societies around the world are facing dramatic upheaval as a result of rapid technological change driven simultaneously by digitization, the application of artificial intelligence and machine learning to all facets of the company, economic and human data, and a new emphasis on the importance of design and innovation on value creation for stakeholders. The Digital, Data, and Design Institute at Harvard (D^3) catalyzes new knowledge to invent a better future by solving some of these ambitious challenges. D^3 provides a new architecture for rigorous research, immersive learning, and cutting-edge practice. D^3 formally launched in July 2022 with twelve newly minted labs that will provide cutting-edge research faced by academics and practitioners. These labs will conduct research and experiments to better understand the role of data, digital, and design in the modern world. The Senior Director of Labs will be responsible for transitioning the new labs and principal investigators into a lab culture while standing up new processes and operating models to enable scaled research.
Labs are focused within 6 areas: Business Model Transformation, Operating Model Transformation; Organizational and Workforce Transformation; Performance and Metrics; Data, Privacy, and Transparency; and Societal Impact. For more information on D^3, please visit https://d3.harvard.edu.
The Senior Director executes a strategic vision and establishes operational benchmarks for the Institute's 12 labs. She/he will be a thought leader on working in a lab model with extensive experience in academic and/or applied research in a lab setting. The Senior Director will work closely with the 30 principal investigators across the labs to manage, train, and develop cross-functional research teams while setting KPIs for the three-year launch period. As part of the D^3 Institute leadership team, the Senior Director is also responsible for recruiting and retaining research and lab staff talent and creating processes for managing stakeholders.Position Description
- Develop vision and execution plans for research and program activities with principal investigators
- Work closely with the Head of Research and Data Science to drive research activities.
- Manage and maintain relationships with Principal Investigators and industry partners
- Coach, mentor, and directly supervise Associate Directors (2) and Lab Managers (4)
- Oversee staff of 35 in lab operations
- Develop strategic thinking for long-term research at the D^3 Institute, including industry engagements, DUAs, IRB protocols, research computing, and Data Safety Requirements
- Hire and train research teams and staff
- Manages and monitors staff performance plans
- Develop protocols for internal communication and policies
- Oversee Associate Director's Programs for Postdoctoral Fellows, Students, and Research Associates
- Draft and maintain labs' budgets
- Oversee grants management activities
- Organize and run quarterly and yearly reviews with principal investigators
- Work with faculty on visitors
- Manage day-to-day duties by engaging lab staff
- Assess staffing needs for projects
- Resolve internal staff conflicts efficiently and to the mutual benefit of those involved
- Be responsible for other duties as assigned
- PhD or Master's degree required
- 12-15 years of experience in a research setting required
- Experience managing complex research projects in a lab setting required
- Experience managing teams required • Budget and grant management experience required
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Experience working with interdisciplinary research and faculty
- Strong leadership skills
- Experience working with research and data scientists
Additional InformationThis role is offered as a hybrid (some combination of onsite and remote) where you are required to be onsite at our Boston, MA based campus 3 days per week. Specific days and schedule will be determined between you and your manager.
While we continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions, we appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. Please note that we will be conducting interviews virtually (phone and or Zoom) for selected candidates until further notice.
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in Harvard's Vaccine & Booster Requirements. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University's COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University's "COVID-19 Vaccine Information" webpage: .
A cover letter is required to be considered for this opportunity.
Harvard Business School will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
Culture of Inclusion: The work and well-being of HBS is profoundly strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and life experiences.
Explore more about HBS work culture here .Job FunctionGeneral Administration, Information Technology, ResearchLocationUSA - MA - Boston Job Code361060 Administrative Manager Sub-Unit DepartmentDigital, Data & Design (D^3) InstituteTime StatusFull-time Salary Grade060Union00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary Pre-Employment ScreeningEducation, IdentityCommitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and BelongingHarvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.EEO StatementWe are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- School/Unit: Harvard Business School
- Auto req ID: 60862BR