5,600 people dedicated to discovery across 6 research locations around the globe!
The Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is the innovation engine of Novartis. We collaborate across scientific and organizational boundaries, with a focus on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
Join our global R&D Intellectual property team to make an impact on how we protect innovative medicines for patients.
The Patent Attorney II- Biology will perform, manage, direct, and leverage designated patent and related intellectual property (IP) activities within the research and development (R&D) organization of Novartis.
Your key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Provide clear, informed and sophisticated counseling to Novartis R&D clients working on new biological entity projects and technologies on opportunities to protect their inventions, create IP portfolios, advise on publication strategies and mitigate third party risks.
• Build and manage patent portfolios for Novartis R&D projects by identifying inventions and preparing, prosecuting, and maintaining patent filings for those, especially in technical areas related to biological targets, new biologic entities, pharmaceutical technologies, as well as clinical developments.
• Render legal opinions with respect to patentability, validity, and freedom to operate, and formulate patent strategies for Novartis R&D clients that secure compound, target and technology Freedom-to-Operate (FTO), enable IP defense(s) and which could contribute to future product protection.
• Apply deep expertise in national patent law and practice and a working knowledge of foreign patent law and practice including patent trends and case law developments to devise patent strategies and advice. Understand other forms of protection relating to exclusivity, and applies as appropriate.
• Maximize effective communication with colleagues and leadership in the legal and IP function as well as the R&D organization. Build and manage external relationships with outside counsel and collaborators.
• Conduct due diligence assessments and counsel based on these assessments, including freedom-to-operate (FTO), infringement and validity analyses, and risk evaluation and mitigation. Provide IP support for transactional projects, including advice on contract drafting and negotiation.
• Continue professional development and contribute to development of IP colleagues.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $201,600.00 and $302,400.00 per year; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/23 through 12/31/23, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you’ll bring to the role:
• Minimum legal education: J.D. with admission to at least one state bar by 2023 and registered to practice before United States Patent Office
• Minimum scientific education: Bachelor’s degree in Biology or equivalent; advanced degree in molecular biology or biomedical sciences is preferred
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
• 3+ years’ related experience as a patent practitioner in a law firm with pharma focus or in the pharmaceutical / biotechnology industry
• Strong scientific background in biological sciences; preferably including direct lab experience
• Expertise in local (US or EP) and PCT law, filing process and prosecution practice; detailed understanding of counterpart EP or US law and other major global patent systems.
• Strong customer-service focus to build and sustain effective partnerships with key stakeholders and project teams. Effective analytical, presentation and communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team. Interpersonal skills (partnership, influence/persuasion, teamwork).
• Well-developed research and critical thinking skills, and sound decision-making abilities, with attention to detail to produce consistently accurate work.
• Strong organization and time management skills with flexibility, creativity, resourcefulness to successfully prioritize and manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously.
• Ability to incorporate global outlook and management of product life cycle into decision making process.
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network