Req #: 209461 Department: Applied Physics Laboratory Job Location: Seattle Campus Posting Date: 07/11/2022 Closing Info: Open Until Filled Salary: $10,000 - $14,000 per month Other Compensation: This position is eligible for sea pay. Shift: First Shift Notes: As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here. As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem-solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty.
The Environmental and Information Systems team at the Applied Physics Laboratory at the University of Washington is hiring - see yourself at APL!
The Applied Physics Laboratory is a research unit at the University of Washington. Our research expertise is in ocean physics and engineering, ocean and medical acoustics, polar science, environmental remote sensing, and signal processing. We conduct research and development that is sponsored by a variety of federal and state agencies, and take great pride in our long-standing status as a US Navy-designated University Affiliated Research Center (UARC). Our work takes place not only on the University of Washington campus and medical centers, but in field locations around the world - at sea, in the air, and on polar ice caps. We apply rigorous scientific inquiry and engineering excellence in pursuit of solutions to important problems for the good of our region, nation, and world.
Diversity is a core value at University of Washington and the Applied Physics Laboratory shares this commitment. We are focused on building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable research environment for all students, staff, and collaborators. We believe every member on our team enriches our community by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design and deliver solutions.
This position will be responsible for the design and development of autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs) and their sensor/processing packages, and deployment and testing of AUVs for sponsor required applications. The person selected will independently design, build, test, and demonstrate new capabilities for autonomous undersea vehicles in novel maritime application areas, including working with sponsors, designing new concepts of operation for these systems, and demonstrating those concepts in at-sea testing events.
Major duties and responsibilities:
This position will hold both strategic leadership and daily operational responsibilities for this research program, including:
• Perform research according to approved sponsor funding guidelines.
• Generate novel concepts for new capabilities in AUV systems.
• Guide the design, development, and testing of these new capabilities.
• Design at-sea demonstration regimens for new AUV capabilities to enable transition to sponsor designated customers.
• Serve as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in approved venues and panels.
• Management of technical and financial operations, preparation of periodic status reports as required by sponsor over the course of the project as well as at the close of the project.
• Planning research to answer complex scientific questions, including development and expansion of technologies, writing and submitting single- and multi-investigator proposals, and cultivating and maintaining strong rapport with sponsors and collaborators, scientific partners, and representatives from the operational Navy.
PhD in Engineering or related field and at least 10 years of job-related experience, including experience with:
• US Citizenship.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DoD security clearance.
• Maritime operations and maintenance.
• Fielding robotic and autonomous systems.
• High-level understanding of multiple engineering disciplines (systems, mechanical, etc.).
• Expert knowledge of AUV systems and their sensor/processing capabilities.
• Expert knowledge of concepts for the operational use of Naval AUV systems.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• Team organization and leadership.
• Project and program management.
• Currently holds a U.S. DoD security clearance at TS level.
Applicants considered for this position will be required to disclose if they are the subject of any substantiated findings or current investigations related to sexual misconduct at their current employment and past employment. Disclosure is required under Washington state law.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 or email@example.com.
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT
Employees of the University of Washington are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless a medical or religious exemption is approved. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination. View the Final candidate guide to COVID-19 vaccination requirement webpage for information about the medical or religious exemption process for final candidates.