4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 20 years of Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research - San Diego (NIBR - SD) history! For over 21 years, NIBR - SD has been doing cutting-edge innovative drug discovery for the Novartis global research organization.
The candidate will join a dynamic team involved in the design and synthesis of oligonucleotides for Novartis’s drug discovery programs. This individual will be responsible for the independent operation and maintenance of instruments to synthesize, purify, and analyze chemically modified oligonucleotides for in vitro and in vivo studies. Successful candidates have experience with modern laboratory equipment and spectroscopic analysis, preferably in relation to oligonucleotides, and ability to work on multiple projects in multi-disciplinary team settings. The ideal candidate is a personable and organized team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment. This role provides you with the opportunity to take on increasing responsibility over time within Novartis Global Discovery Chemistry.
• Collaborate with scientists throughout the organization on the discovery and advancement of innovative oligonucleotide therapeutics
• Operate oligonucleotide synthesizers, HPLC, and LC-MS for synthesis, qualitative analysis, and purification of synthetic oligonucleotides to produce high quality oligonucleotides for research and drug development programs
• Critical analysis and evaluation of data to optimize synthesis yield, purity, and formulation of modified oligonucleotides
• Quantitate compounds spectroscopically for in vitro and in vivo experiments
• Develop quality control mechanisms and monitoring systems as well as maintain the equipment to ensure consistent and reliable production of oligonucleotides with minimal down time
• Manage procurement and inventory of chemicals and supplies for oligonucleotide synthesis
• Curate and maintain the inventory of synthesized oligonucleotides
Vaccine Policy: While Novartis does not require vaccination at this time, for certain Novartis sites in the US all associates and candidates may be required to either upload an image of their COVID-19 vaccine card demonstrating proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 (or other similar evidence of vaccination) or proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken by the associate or candidate within the past seven days to enter any of our sites and/or customer office or healthcare facility, as well as prior to participating in other work related off-site meetings. Employees working in customer-facing roles must adhere to and comply with customers’ (such as hospitals, physician offices, etc.) credentialing guidelines, which may require vaccination.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you’ll bring to the role:
• Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or related scientific discipline with 7 plus years of relevant work experience -OR- a master’s degree in Chemistry or related scientific discipline with 4 plus years of relevant work experience OR a PhD
• One year of experience with operating oligonucleotide synthesis equipment, LC-MS, and HPLC
• A commitment to scientific integrity and laboratory excellence as well as ability to independently interrogate scientific problems and deliver creative solutions
• Strong organizational and record keeping skills
• Knowledge and curiosity in synthetic organic chemistry
• Automation experience to streamline repetitive tasks is a plus
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
As required by applicable law, Novartis will consider requests for reasonable accommodation for those unable to be vaccinated. This requirement is subject to applicable state and local laws and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions. Please send accommodation requests to [email protected] .
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $97,000 and $146,000/year; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/23 through 12/31/23, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network