Postbaccalaureate Research Associate
Location : City
Postbaccalaureate Research Associate (Postbaccs) at Benaroya Research Institute (BRI) will engage in research at the forefront of immunologic, allergic, and infectious diseases, to prepare them for future careers in biomedical research. Postbaccs spend two years performing full-time research under the guidance and direction of a BRI Principal Investigator. Postbaccs have the opportunity to engage and network with experts in diverse scientific research fields while taking advantage of the extensive resources of BRI.
Postbaccs will participate in a structured educational program in preparation for graduate or medical school including training in laboratory and/or computational skills, critical thinking, and scientific communication skills. Postbaccs will conduct research in BRI laboratories located in Seattle, WA, which provides a unique scientific research training environment in basic, translational, and clinical research for recent college graduates who plan to apply to graduate or professional school (Ph.D., M.D., or equivalent graduate degree).
Application deadline: March 1st 2023
Program start: July 5th 2023.Application requirements: Apply online and include the items listed below:
Curriculum Vitae, including Education, Research Experience, Employment History, Awards and HonorsTranscript (unofficial)Personal statement (1500 word limit). This statement should include the following:
(a) Educational background
(b) Description of previous research experience
(c) Research interests
(d) Career goals
(e) How the BRI Postbacc program will help you to reach your career goalsAdditional statement (500 word limit): Describe an obstacle or challenge you have faced, and how you have overcome it.Letters of Reference: 3 letters of reference. At least two must be from academic faculty familiar with applicant's coursework or research experience. Your references must be confidential and emailed directly to email@example.com by the application deadline.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the program or application process.
- Conduct mentored research under supervision of a BRI Principal Investigator and their scientific staff.
- Learn best practices in design, performance, and analysis of cutting-edge immunological research.
- Present research findings at lab meetings, institutional seminars, and at a national conference.
- Actively participate in the structured educational programming, including journal clubs, scientific writing workshops, and assistance with graduate/medical school application process.
- May take advantage of additional coursework if needed.
The BRI Postbacc Program is for individuals who intend to matriculate to graduate or professional school in Fall 2025 AND
meet ONE of the following criteria:
- College graduates who received their bachelor's degree less than THREE years prior to the date they begin the program (regardless of whether they subsequently completed a master's degree), OR
- College graduates who are more than three years past the receipt of their bachelor's degree but received a master's degree less than SIX MONTHS before they begin the program.
- Requires a BA/BS in a scientific field with a strong foundation of coursework in biology or related fields.
- Demonstrated track record of scientific curiosity, collaboration with others, and independent thought.
- Must be detail oriented, having strong mathematical skills.
- Need to be able to quickly learn proper operation of complex laboratory instruments and equipment and/or analysis techniques.
- Must have good verbal and writing skills.
$24.00 - $24.00 per hour
- Medical, dental, vision hardware insurance
- Flexible spending accounts: health care, dependent care, commuter
- Short and long-term disability and life and AD&D insurance
- 403(b) retirement plan with matching funds after one year of employment
- PTO: 13 holidays, three weeks of vacation and two weeks of sick leave per year
- Employee assistance program
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Subsidized bus pass
- Subsidized YMCA membership
- Voluntary benefits, e.g., pet insurance, accident, critical illness, identify theft
- See benaroyaresearch.org for benefit details
Benaroya Research Institute at Virginia Mason (BRI) has a bold mission: Predict, prevent, reverse and cure immune system diseases, from autoimmune disease to cancer to COVID-19. We examine the immune system in both health and disease to understand how disorders start and how to rebalance the immune system back to health. Equipped with innovative tools and robust biorepositories, our team chips away at the biggest mysteries behind these conditions to work toward our vision of a healthy immune system for all. As an independent non-profit organization within Virginia Mason Franciscan Health, we collaborate with clinicians to accelerate the path from innovative lab discoveries to life-changing patient care.
At BRI, each role is valued and an important contributor to the vision and mission. BRI is committed to a safe, caring and diverse workplace; as well as to taking action to further our commitments to foster inclusion, equity and belonging so employees feel comfortable bringing their full selves to work. Consider making a difference, join our team. Because together, we are Powering Possibility
Visit BenaroyaResearch.org or follow BRI's Autoimmune Life Blog, Facebook, Instagram,
LinkedIn or Twitter to learn more.All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status. If you need assistance completing the application process, please contact Human Resources at 206-287-5646 or email email@example.com