Associate DeanPosition Number:
College of EngineeringLocation:
Continuous - application review begins January 15, 2023Salary Information:
Commensurate with qualifications and experienceFull Time/Part Time:
The University of Hawaii at Manoa (UH Manoa) seeks a collaborative and entrepreneurial leader to serve as Associate Dean of the College of Engineering (CoE). This position is an exceptional opportunity to help continue the growth of engineering research, innovation, and entrepreneurialism at UH Manoa, the state of Hawaii, and the Asia-Pacific region. As an indispensable contributor to sustainable living in Hawaii and the Asia-Pacific region, CoE is committed to ensuring that its academic and research efforts support the well-being of the people, economy, and environment of Hawaii. Furthermore, as the only engineering college with ABET-accredited programs in Hawaii, CoE is committed to excellence in the development of the next generation of engineering leaders for the state.
The Associate Dean of the CoE at UH Manoa reports to the Dean of the College and serves on the CoE Executive Committee. The Associate Dean provides leadership for the academic, research, and service programs administered by the College. The Associate Dean takes an active leadership role in fostering and establishing relationships with funding agencies and the external community to advance the research endeavors of the College, and to connect faculty scholarship to student learning. This includes recognizing opportunities and identifying where the strengths and competencies are within the College in connecting faculty with collaboration initiatives, developing competitive teaming opportunities, and mentoring junior faculty in both their research proposal development and their academic responsibilities. The Associate Dean's work involves significant collaboration with faculty and administrators in other academic and research units at UH Manoa and within the University of Hawaii System to create innovative education and research programs in areas of state need as well as transfer opportunities in the CoE. The work also involves academic and research collaborations with other universities and organizations, both domestic and international.
The CoE at UH Manoa is dedicated to world-class education and research opportunities to those who are interested in learning in one of the world's most diverse environments. We produce the entrepreneurial and innovative human and intellectual capital required to be competitive in an increasingly technological and global society. Through our graduates and our research, we provide people and discoveries to transform lives and to support vibrant, knowledge-based economies. We are inspired by the principles of sustainability and resilience, informed by our Native Hawaiian host culture and unique island environment. (For more information about the University of Hawaii at Manoa and the College, please go to www.manoa.hawaii.edu and https://www.eng.hawaii.edu).Duties and Responsibilities
- The Associate Dean provides leadership for academic planning, instructional matters, research, and service programs administered by the College.
- The Associate Dean will support faculty activities in research and supervise the development and operation of research centers and institutes. The Associate Dean will develop and administer the industrial affiliates and fundraising programs related to research as well as identify, plan, coordinate and facilitate federal, state, and private research support, including proposals, budgets, matching funds, and negotiations with collaborators from industry, other universities or other units within the University system. The Associate Dean will coordinate and plan the industrial affiliates program with the faculty chair positions, industrial graduate fellowships, and any other programs developed to facilitate research in the College.
- The Associate Dean ensures mentoring for junior faculty in all aspects of their work, including research, instruction, and service. This mentoring is performed in close coordination with Department leadership.
- The Associate Dean oversees the tenure, promotion, contract renewal, and post-tenure review process, as governed by the UH Executive Policy, the Agreement between the University of Hawaii Professional Assembly (UHPA), and the Board of Regents of the University of Hawaii, and the College's criteria and procedures.
- The Associate Dean is responsible for establishing connections and fostering relationships between the College and other UH partners to explore and develop new collaborative initiatives related to faculty scholarship, as well as joint academic and transfer programs, as part of multi-unit, interdisciplinary and/or external collaborations. This requires an understanding and communication of the College's expertise and capabilities to develop collaborative and competitive teams with common interests and complementary abilities.
- The Associate Dean is responsible for developing the College's distance learning delivery capability, including the interface and coordination with all relevant university units. Increase the offerings of credit bearing and non-credit programs through distance learning. Coordinate with the Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs on the distance delivery of credit bearing graduate programs.
- Develops and coordinates the College's not-for-credit professional development, continuing education, and associate distance learning programs, including the interface and coordination with all relevant university teams and community/employer partners.
- Oversees the graduate program reviews, which includes conducting program analyses of curricula, evaluation of graduate degree requirements, and coordination of program changes. This is performed in collaboration with the Assistant Dean and the respective Department Chairs.
- The Associate Dean provides leadership in the development of new initiatives or programs within the College and serves as the lead in efforts that are not specific to any one Department.
- The Associate Dean assists the Dean's Office in coordination of the College Lecture Series, which provides forums for sharing of focus area expertise, industry dialogue, and provides greater faculty, student, and industry interaction.
- The Associate Dean provides leadership and College-wide direction in working with College and Departmental staff responsible for oversight and operational execution of respective Lab Safety programs and College/Department managed facilities, including machine shops and computer labs.
- The Associate Dean works with appropriate College and Departmental staff to provide leadership and guidance to respective staff for College and Departmental facilities such as capital improvement program needs, renovations of existing facilities, and planning for new facilities. This position serves as the primary point of contact for the College with campus and University operational offices and serves as the College's representative to the Campus and System's space allocation committee or such body formed by the UH administration.
- The Associate Dean assists the Dean with reports, issues, and concerns related to the successful development of various programs, projects and activities that impact the College. Actively participate as a key member of the college leadership team to achieve the vision and mission of the college.
- The Associate Dean serves as the Acting Dean in the absence of the Dean.
- The Associate Dean may also be required to perform other duties as necessary to serve the College.
- The Associate Dean's work involves significant contact with faculty and administrators in other University academic and research units. The work involves contact with other Universities and organizations that engage in research, academic planning, accreditation, etc. This position requires coordination with the Office of Research Services, research offices within both the University system and Manoa campus, and other programs involved with research. There is also interaction with ITS and the Outreach College for distance learning. Contact with Facilities Management regarding facilities planning and interaction with funding agencies, private companies, professional organizations especially with respect to increasing research funding and graduate opportunities. This position's work could involve some contact with state and federal legislative staff.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in an engineering discipline or closely related field.
- Attained the academic rank of Associate Professor or have a demonstrated record of comparable professional experience prior to appointment.
- Established effective working relationships with funding agencies at the federal, state, county levels and/or philanthropic foundations.
- Evidence of an established record of grant-funding and successful research mentorship.
- Experience in academic program administration and development.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership in engineering curriculum development as it applies to student outcomes and industry needs.
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external constituencies in Hawaii, mainland, and oversees.
- Ability to engage successfully in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment.
- Attained the academic rank of Professor or equivalent.
- Demonstrated leadership in working with faculty, professionals, students, and/or employees in other units within a university.
- Research focus on or experience with Hawaii and/or the Asia/Pacific region.
- Proven decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
- Prior experience and an up-to-date working knowledge of the practices and principles related to college/university accreditation.
Please see official ad at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/hawaiiedu/jobs/3831624-0/associate-d...
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2023. While candidates who complete their applications by January 15, 2023 will receive full consideration, the review process will continue until the position is filled. Applications will continue to be accepted, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled. Inquiries
Joanne Whitaker; firstname.lastname@example.orgEEO/AA, Clery Act, ADA
The University of Hawai'i is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution
and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran. For more information or inquiries regarding these policies, please refer to the following link: http://www.hawaii.edu/offices/eeo/eeo-coordinators/
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawai'i may be viewed at: https://www.hawaii.edu/titleix/help/campus-security/
, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.
Accommodation Request: The University of Hawai'i complies with the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the EEO coordinator directly. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. For further information, please refer to the following link: https://www.hawaii.edu/offices/eeo/accommodation-request/
PandoLogic. Keywords: Engineering - Faculty Position, Location: Washington, DC - 20037 , PL: 558242126