Senior Director, Comparative Medicine La Jolla Site Head Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best in class medicines to patients around the world.What You Will Achieve
As part of the Comparative Medicine (CM) team, you will be responsible for all CM operations, scientific, strategic, and collaborative activities as well as for all CM staff and budget residing at the site. You will be a member of the CM Executive Team (ET) which is responsible for strategy setting across the global line. It is your hard work along with innovative ideas and focus that will help in making Pfizer ready to achieve new milestones and help patients across the globe.How You Will Achieve It
- The Site Head is responsible for the veterinary care and animal welfare of all animals at this rodent only site and will serve as the clinical veterinarian for the site which includes providing veterinary care coverage on weekends and holidays on a rotational basis.
- The Site Head has responsibility for all CM operational, scientific, strategic, and collaborative activities, as well as for all CM staff and budget residing at the site. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, leadership, resource management, and communications within and outside of the direct line. The Site Head supports the setting of the global strategy for the CM line in liaison with the CM ET.
- The Site Head is responsible for providing technical expertise in the field of Comparative Medicine both within the line and globally across Pfizer.
- As the Attending Veterinarian, this position is responsible for full regulatory compliance ensuring all report, inspections and regulatory interactions are handled appropriately. The Site Head/AV serves as the primary point of contact for site matters of AAALAC and other regulatory agencies.
- As a resource manager, the Site Head evaluates workload vs. capacity and aligns site resources and process improvements to meet the needs of the line and its customers; assesses current work practices and suggests any efficiencies or effectiveness changes; and, optimizes and provides vivarium facilities appropriate to the needs of the Line and Site.
- Along with the CM ET, he/she communicates Pfizer CM activities and the importance of animal-based research internally and externally in order to positively influence the internal and external environment including support of associated publications.
- The Site Head is responsible for hiring, retaining, training and developing a diverse population of colleagues; ensures the recruitment and professional development of staff to support the Line's objectives and future growth; and manages performance including provision of training opportunities, coaching, and evaluation.
- He/she defines, through aligned Service Level Agreements and other tools, how the line will work alongside other disciplines/lines/divisions at the site to ensure effective and ethical animal care and welfare. This includes communication with the defined customer base at the site.
- The position provides direction for laboratory/Vivarium safety both at a site level and globally.
Will be required to work under one of the following: The United States Department of Agriculture Animal Welfare Act and associated Regulations and Standards, the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, Good Laboratory Practices, Public Health Service Policy and/or AAALAC accreditation standards.QualificationsMust-Have
- DVM with 5+ years' experience required.
- Experience in pharmaceutical R&D with knowledge of the drug discovery process and the practice of laboratory animal medicine and science, animal husbandry and vivarium operations.
- Experience serving on IACUCs.
- In-depth knowledge of regulatory requirements in working with research animals.
- Experience in leadership, supervisory and managerial skills.
- The Site Head has a strong understanding of applications of animal- based research and testing and is experienced in working across a global organization and within a matrix structure organization.
- The Site Head has demonstrated ability to lead a complex and highly regulated scientific and technical organization. The Site Head has proven leadership or shared leadership capabilities for execution of local and global projects and designs an organization that is situated to contribute successfully to the delivery of the portfolio. The Site Head is a proven leader that demonstrates all Pfizer values and composes an organization that is inclusive and diverse in culture.
- The Site Head is customer-centric, seeking out feedback from the customer base and exceeding the expectations of the customer and global organization.
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Weekend/holiday on-call on rotational schedule.
Relocation support available
Work Location Assignment:On Premise
The annual base salary for this position ranges from $185,800.00 to $309,600.00. In addition, this position offers an annual bonus with a target of 22.5% of the base salary and eligibility to participate in our share based long term incentive program. Benefits offered include a retirement savings plan, paid vacation, holiday and personal days, paid caregiver/parental and medical leave, and health benefits to include medical, prescription drug, dental and vision coverage in accordance with the terms and conditions of the applicable plans. Pfizer compensation structures and benefit packages are aligned locally, the US Salary range provided does not apply to the Tampa, FL or any EXUS locations.
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development