The successful applicant will join the Translational Modeling and Simulation team within Pfizer's Medicine Design organization which applies state-of-the-art modeling and simulation methodologies to preclinical small molecule programs to enable key decisions starting from project ideation through to the design of candidate molecules suitable for clinical development. As a member of multidisciplinary project teams, the candidate will develop and implement quantitative, mechanism-based mathematical models which impact decisions regarding molecular target and interventional modality evaluation, biomarker characterization, chemical optimization and candidate selection, preclinical-clinical translation and early clinical trial design. ROLE RESPONSIBILTIES
The successful applicant will have an opportunity to support a range of projects within Pfizer's small molecule portfolio. In the earliest phases of research and development, the deployment of mechanistic modeling and/or systems pharmacology modeling is an essential responsibility for guiding discovery teams to evaluate the therapeutic potential of novel molecular targets, define laboratory objectives, design and interpret in vitro and in vivo pharmacology studies, select appropriate compounds for clinical development and inform early clinical trial design/interpretation. To this end, the successful applicant will serve as a core member of multi-disciplinary project teams which include discipline partners from Medicinal Chemistry, Biology, DMPK, Drug Safety, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Clinical Pharmacology and Clinical. The individual is expected to keep up to date with emerging technical and scientific information and will have the opportunity to present scientific results both internally and externally through conference presentations and publications. Given the global nature of project teams and group members, excellent communication skills, a pro-active approach and independence are preferred characteristics for the successful applicant. QUALIFICATIONS
- Ph.D. degree or equivalent experience in systems biology, pharmacometrics, pharmaceutical sciences, engineering, physics, mathematics, or similar disciplines where modeling and simulation is emphasized.
- 2 - 5 years of relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Familiarity, through experience, with the phases of drug discovery and development, with particular emphasis on preclinical research and early clinical development.
- Demonstrated ability to independently work with multidisciplinary teams to guide decision making in preclinical research and/or early clinical development.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Strong communications skills. Ability to translate/condense/summarize outcomes of modeling and simulation analyses into information that can be used by multidisciplinary project teams.
- Good team player and communicator; including good listening skills and the ability to effectively interact with colleagues with a variety of backgrounds.
- Excellent understanding of theory, principles and statistical aspects of advanced mathematical modeling and simulation.
- Hands-on knowledge of the state-of-the-art modeling and simulation software and applications in the area of PKPD modeling and simulation (e.g. NONMEM, MatLab, Phoenix, Berkeley-Madonna, SAAM II, ADAPT, ACSL, S-plus, R or comparable applications).
- An understanding of the basic principles of pharmacokinetics (e.g. non-compartmental, compartmental, PBPK).
- Ability to learn new areas of biological sciences and build on solid foundation of quantitative skills to develop mechanistically-relevant PK-PD models.
- Ability to keep up-to-date with and propose the implementation of scientific and technological developments in the area of PK-PD modeling and simulation.
- Strong belief that modeling and simulation can have a significant positive impact on research projects.
- Committed to the development of self and others.
- Motivated to share technical expertise with others.
Occasional travel, 1 - 2 times a year, may be needed. PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
Ability to perform mathematical calculations and ability to perform complex data analysis.
Relocation support available
Work Location Assignment:Flexible
The annual base salary for this position ranges from $96,900.00 to $161,600.00. In addition, this position offers an annual bonus with a target of 15.0% of the base salary and eligibility to participate in our share based long term incentive program. Benefits offered include a retirement savings plan, paid vacation, holiday and personal days, paid caregiver/parental and medical leave, and health benefits to include medical, prescription drug, dental and vision coverage in accordance with the terms and conditions of the applicable plans. Salary range does not apply to the Tampa, FL location.
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development