The Palop Lab and the Gladstone Behavioral Core at the Gladstone Institutes and UCSF is seeking a Research Associate or Research Technologist to assist in studies focusing on cutting-edge machine learning approaches for behavioral phenotyping. The successful candidate will support postdoctoral scholars and Ph.D. students at the Palop Lab and Behavioral Core users with machine learning computational analysis, preparation of figures, and interpretation. Key responsibilities include developing and optimizing a machine learning pipeline, and applying it for behavioral quantification (e.g. pose tracking using DeepLabCut, behavioral segmentation and sequencing using VAME, and developing custom scripts for data analyses, visualization and statistics). This role involves contributing to the development of new laboratory procedures by consulting the literature and other scientists. Depending on interests, skills, and career plans, the successful candidate may also carry out independent projects. This position also offers the opportunity to interact regularly with the Gladstone Bioinformatics Core for statistical analyses.
Applicants must hold a Bachelor's degree in biological or computational sciences with some relevant experience working in neuroscience or a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience. Please provide a cover letter, CV and names of 2-3 references.
- Experience with analytical and computational approaches in Python (preferred) and/or MATLAB.
- Experience with DeepLabCut is welcomed but not required.
- Experience with pipeline optimization from data collection to analysis.
- Experience writing custom scripts for data analysis and visualization.
- Experience with statistical software including Excel, Prism, and/or SPSS.
- Experience with machine learning and signal processing techniques.
- Experience with HPC clusters, job scheduling, Linux and Git.
- Goal-oriented team player able to contribute to multiple projects independently or under supervision while maintaining consistent communication and detailed records.
- Organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated.
- Eager to learn, passionate about neuroscience, and ready to make meaningful contributions to science.
At Gladstone and in the Palop Laboratory, we know it takes a diverse group of empowered individuals to advance science and effectively overcome disease. We are committed to creating a diverse community and cultivating a culture where every individual is respected and can succeed. We encourage applications from members of groups historically underrepresented in the sciences.
Research Associate I- $25/hr-$29/hr
Research Associate II- $64K-$75KAdditional Information:
- Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- Gladstone is an equal opportunity employer.