Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best-in-class medicines to patients around the world. ROLE SUMMARY
The Discovery Sciences group in Groton, CT is seeking an enthusiastic and skilled postdoctoral scientist to study unannotated small and alternative open reading frame-encoded microproteins (MPs). There are emerging examples of MPs that have been shown to regulate important cellular and physiological processes including DNA repair, innate immunity, and metabolism in a system and context specific manner. Beyond regulating cellular functions, MPs may also serve as therapeutic targets for complex, unmet medical conditions. Hence, MPs are rapidly becoming recognized as an untapped resource of novel biological modulators with important physiological functions and potential therapeutic value. This postdoctoral position is a unique opportunity to conduct basic research at Pfizer using cutting edge tools to discover novel microproteins and advance drug discovery efforts through identification of clinically relevant targets for metabolic diseases. ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establishing a small ORF library - Cloning, recombinant protein expression and purification, appropriate QC studies
- Characterization of small ORF encoded microproteins in cell-based assays with a goal to identify specific cellular roles for the target MP.
- Screening MPs to identify disease relevant targets, using physiologically relevant assays.
- Contribute to pathway analysis of MPs using an array of tools and technologies.
- Contribute intellectually and at the bench to the project conception, design, and execution.
- Generate, organize, analyze, interpret data, and communicate back to mentor. Identify areas where key knowledge is lacking. Proactively seek new scientific leads via literature, conferences, and key opinion leaders with the goal of refining scientific hypothesis and expediting experimental plans.
- Be a proactive problem solver. Identifying roadblocks and propose innovative ways to provide solutions.
- Effectively communicate results at internal and external events and proactively contribute to the continued scientific growth at Pfizer.
- Contribute to a culture that embraces scientific excellence, effectiveness, and teamwork.
- Exercise and build basic team effectiveness skills (e.g., commitment, feedback, consensus management) within context of immediate work group.
- Ensure all tasks and responsibilities are carried out according to scientific and ethical standards.
- Present the research work at various internal and external meetings and publish in high-impact journals.
- Requires Ph.D. in cell/molecular biology/biochemistry or related field with 0-4 years' experience.
- 1-2 first-author publications (published or manuscripts submitted for publication) in high-quality specialty or general readership journals.
- Experience in molecular biology and protein biochemistry
- Substantial experience in m ammalian cell biology, including cell culture maintenance, transfection, and cell line characterization.
- The candidate should be self-motivated, organized, and capable of working independently and in a collaborative environment and should have demonstrated ability to drive projects by coming up with innovative strategies.
- The candidate should possess strong oral and written communication skills.
- The candidate should have strong attention to detail and has ability to execute detailed experimental plans, record procedures, analyze data, and present results.
OTHER JOB DETAILS
- Experience in employing functional analysis tools to analyze omics data including ribosome profiling.
- Basic training in mass spectrometry and chemical biology tools.
- Experience with CRISPR technology, clonal selection, and characterization.
- Proficiency in qPCR/PCR and genomic analysis.
- Knowledge and training in imaging and data analysis.
- Must Have Work Authorization in US
- Eligible for Relocation Assistance
- Work Location Assignment:On Premise
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development