Pulmonary Translational Research Principal InvestigatorGeneral Summary
Southern Research is seeking an early to mid-career Principal Investigator (PI) to join our Translational Research Drug Discovery Team in the Scientific Platforms Division. This is a unique opportunity for an accomplished researcher to build, sustain, and lead a translational research program focused in Pulmonary research that generates impactful discoveries and technologies. The successful candidate will be an established researcher with a strong record of leadership, mentoring, research, funding, and publications. Furthermore, the candidate will be expected to work collaboratively with the multi-disciplinary drug discovery units in the Scientific Platforms Division. Preference will be given to those applicants whose research complements and expands existing programs, including but not limited to, oncology, anti-virals, respiratory diseases, immunology, and high-throughput systems. Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Seek funding opportunities that match research expertise and suit the mission and objectives of Southern Research.
- Resource and staff the laboratory, including budget allocation, hiring decisions, and assignments.
- Set objectives and requirements for each project, provide feedback to staff, and ensure overall quality and progress toward those objectives.
- Establish and coordinate collaborative efforts both within the laboratory and with outside partnerships.
- Seek publications of research findings in high-quality scientific journals.
- Attend department and divisional meetings and contribute to leadership decisions.
- Act as an ambassador for the Southern Research mission, presenting to scientists, funding sources, educators, and the community at large.
- Support the activities of Southern Research's educational outreach and economic development missions.
- Ph.D. or Ph.D./M.D. with distinguished record of leadership, teaching, research, funding, and publications.
- At least 5 years of experience in an investigative research leadership position.
- Be able to develop and implement a strategic vision for cardiovascular research within the Scientific Platforms Division.
- Work collaboratively with all departments to enhance the quality and excellence of the research being done by the Scientific Platforms Division.
- Develop resources necessary to build a world-class cardiovascular research program.
- Identify research needs and potential funding sources; initiate proposals and seek required funding through government or commercial entities.
- Ensure the research methods and ultimate work product are reflective of the highest scientific standards of integrity, quality, and confidence.
- Exhibit deep curiosity and enthusiasm for discovery by encouraging and sustaining the laboratory team and embracing the ever-changing scientific environment.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suites Products
- Proven ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to perform work utilizing a computer for extended periods of time.
- Willing to work extended hours when necessary.