POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW - CHEMISTRYGeneral Summary
This is a 2-year appointment that serves as a research trainee for the purpose of enhancing and developing research competencies. In this appointment, the postdoctoral researcher will be responsible for providing synthetic chemistry support for small molecule drug discovery and medicinal chemistry optimization. The researcher will participate in planning, designing and conducting highly technical synthetic chemical operations under the supervision of a Principal Investigator and will analyze research data, provide interpretations, contribute to the development of research documentation for publications and provide technical reports, papers and records.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as a research trainee for the purpose of enhancing and developing research competencies.
- Participates in planning, designing and conducting highly technical and complex research projects under the direction of a supervisor. May or may not work independently.
- Identifies, researches, compiles and evaluates data sources, background information and technology related to the area of specialization.
- Synthesizes, purifies, and characterizes compounds.
- Develops Structure-Activity Relationships.
- Designs analogues for synthesis.
- Contributes to progress reports, grant applications and publications derived from project data.
- Operates and maintains scientific equipment.
- Maintains external awareness of scientific discipline through familiarity with current scientific literature.
- Observes appropriate safety requirements.
Work Environment & Conditions
- PhD in Organic or Medicinal Chemistry.
- Strong synthetic organic chemistry background required.
- Keen interest in understanding the application of medicinal chemistry principles.
- Research experience in the field of specialization with advanced knowledge of equipment, procedures and methods of analysis.
- Ability to observe appropriate safety requirements.
- Competency in Microsoft Office Suites Products and other relevant software.
- Proven ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Candidates must currently reside in the United States.
This position may involve entry into a BSL-2/3 laboratory environment and requires the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) including:
- Safety glasses
- Respirator (varies based on tasks and barrier requirements)
- Tyvek suits/scrubs or laboratory coat
- Nitrile and latex gloves (varies based on tasks)
- Hearing protection (as needed)
- Shoe covers (as needed)
- Ability to perform work utilizing a computer for extended periods of time
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time without being able to leave the work area
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time without being able to leave the work area
- Ability to climb ladders and stairs in performing the work
- Ability to walk for reasonable distances in performing the work
- Ability to lift / carry objects weighing up to 20 lbs. in performing the work
- Ability to pull or push objects weighing up to 20 lbs. in performing the work