Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best-in-class medicines to patients around the world.What You Will Achieve
The High-throughput Clinical Immunoassays & Diagnostics Team (HCID) resides under Vaccine Research & Development (VRD) and supports Pfizer's vaccine programs. HCID's mission is to develop, validate and maintain various immunoassays to support both pre-clinical and clinical vaccine studies.
We are seeking a talented Senior Scientist to join the Robotics and Automation team within the High-throughput Clinical Immunoassays and Diagnostics (HCID) of Pfizer Vaccine Research and Development (VRD) in Pearl River, NY.The incumbent will be responsible for the management of the design, programming, and optimization of custom robotic methods by junior staff, oversight of the validation of these custom methods for regulated assay throughput, including oversight of the preparation of relevant regulated documents. The incumbent will also be responsible for evaluating and on-boarding new automated technologies within VRD. Work will be done in a compliant manner according to applicable SOPs and cGxP guidelines, as required. The incumbent will work in a team setting and will share roles and responsibilities with other colleagues as assigned by the supervisor.How You Will Achieve It
- Develop and deploy automated methods for high-throughput sample preparation, including requirements gathering, scripting, testing, optimization, and testing.
- Provide leadership and/or represent the Robotics & Automation in internal (within HCID) and external (i.e., cross-functional) teams as an Automation subject matter expert (SME).
- Document requirements and specifications of automated systems.
- Author, review and/or oversee the preparation of regulated documents for equipment qualification and SOPs.
- Manage a team of 3-6 junior Robotics & Automation associates.
- Manage and oversee the training of junior colleagues on new and established technologies.
- Evaluate hardware, software and end-user workflows to bring new ideas for process improvements that increase sample preparation throughput and efficiency.
- Participate in the design of efficient end-to-end automated solutions within the Robotics and Automation team in support of VRD.
- Design and execute optimization experiments with the aim to scale and fully automate processes on robotic platforms.
- Bring a can-do attitude to solve new and challenging problems in a high pace environment.
- Engage with vendors and coordinate end-user requirements of robotic systems, their manufacture, delivery, installation, and testing.
- Present experimental results at group and project meetings.
- Satisfactorily complete all required laboratory, cGxP and safety training, in conformance with departmental requirements.
- Where applicable, perform job responsibilities in compliance with cGxP and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Perform other related duties as assigned and based on company needs.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field with 9+ years of industry experience, master's degree with 7+ years of industry experience, or a PhD with 0+ years of industry experience
- 7+ years of experience with two or more liquid handler platforms and familiarity with platform-specific operating software.
- 5+ years of experience performing and/or managing automated workflows on integrated lab automation platforms.
- 4+ years developing and implementing high-efficiency workflows and automated robotics systems, ideally on end-to-end integrated robotic systems.
- 3+ years of experience leading a group of 3 or more junior staff.
- Experience in the successful transfer of manual workflows into automated workflows.
- Strongcomputer skills and experience in one or more programming languages (e.g., VB/VBA/VBS, Python, C++/C#, .Net), e xperience scripting/programing methods on robotic systems (liquid handlers, workstations, scheduling software, etc.).
- Hands-on experience with the operation and troubleshooting of robotic liquid handlers is required.
- Strong writing, communication, and computer/technical skills. Familiarity with authoring and reviewing qualification and validation documents.
- Advanced ability to program liquid handler methods to support assay development and high throughput clinical testing.
- Demonstrated ability to provide resolution of technical issues.
- Experiencein the successful transfer of technologies from manual workflows into high-throughput assay technologies.
- Experience with software engineering best practices: code quality, testing, performance optimization, development of research tools infrastructure.
- Familiarity working in a regulated environment (GXP) and quality management systems.
Work Location Assignment:On Premise
Other Job Details:
Eligible for relocation package
Eligible for employee referral bonus
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development