Stanford University is seeking a Life Science Research Professional 1 to perform basic functions and activities involved in defined research projects, and independently conduct and analyze experiments.
Stanford University is one of the world's most renowned universities. Sitting in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area among the valley's most progressive companies.
You will be working with an unparalleled leading-edge community of faculty and staff that are fundamentally changing the world of health care. You will have the opportunity to influence and drive change with your innovative ideas, the ability to make a difference and participate in human advancements. Our culture is fast-paced, energetic, and growing all of the time.
We offer a variety of benefits beyond traditional medical, dental, retirement, and savings options:
- Events and program for children, sports camps, tuition options
- World-class intellectual stimulation through learning and development classes, workshops, and onsite
- conferences from leading-edge speakers and faculty
- Work/life and family-friendly policies and reimbursement
- Participation in Stanford's social responsibility and sustainable programs for a better world
- A vibrant university culture that values the uniqueness of each individual
We are seeking candidates who are progressive thinkers, see challenges as simply problems to solve, and have the spirit and energy to change the world.
For more information about the department visit http://pathology.stanford.edu/ About the lab:
The LSRP will work in the lab of Dr. Ansuman Satpathy MD PhD (Department of Pathology and Parker Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy at Stanford University School of Medicine). The goal of the lab is to apply cutting-edge immunologic and genomic technologies to study the immune response to cancer, and to design the next-generation of cancer immunotherapies for patients. The laboratory consists of an interdisciplinary team of physicians and scientists with backgrounds in medicine, immunology, cancer, and genetics. The Satpathy Lab studies fundamental principles of the immune system in health, infection, and cancer (Parker et al, Cell 2020; Flynn et al, Cell 2021). The lab particularly focuses on single-cell genomic and multi-omic technologies (Yost et al, Nature Medicine 2019; Rubin et al, Cell 2019) to study immunological mechanisms of disease directly in samples isolated from patients. For more information about our multidisciplinary research laboratory, see https://satpathylab.com/About the position:
We are recruiting a Life Science Research Professional (LSRP) to join a new research group within the laboratory of Dr. Ansuman Satpathy in the Department of Pathology. This focused group is led by Siva Kasinathan, MD, PhD and is part of the Satpathy lab's team of scientists and physicians with expertise in medicine, immunology, and genetics. As a physician-scientist trained in rheumatology and molecular and computational biology, Dr. Kasinathan aims to develop and apply cutting-edge immunologic and genomic technologies to study autoimmune and autoinflammatory diseases. As part of a multidisciplinary group, the LSRP will work independently and also collaborate with other members on molecular, genomic, and immunologic studies under the supervision of Dr. Kasinathan. Major responsibilities include isolating and culturing primary immune cells, generating single-cell and single-molecule sequencing libraries, analyzing primary and engineered immune cells via flow cytometry, and participating in data analysis and publication of research manuscripts. Additionally, the LSRP will be responsible for some basic lab operations. On the job training in specific techniques will be provided. As part of the role, there may also be opportunities for development of computational/bioinformatics skills. For exceptionally skilled applicants, the role can be extended to include the design, completion, and analysis of cellular editing experiments and pooled screens. This position offers a rich opportunity to play an active role in a dynamic biomedical research lab, while gaining exposure to and mentorship in areas relevant to academia or industry including molecular biology, genetics, immunology, genome engineering, and clinical medicine. We welcome candidates who wish to go on to medical or graduate school or other careers in healthcare/science. A minimum 2-year commitment is preferred with the possibility of an extension; this is flexible depending on individual qualifications. The earliest and ideal start date for this position is September 2023.Duties include:
- Plan approaches to analyze large-scale biological data, including single-cell multi-omic data.
- Independently conduct computational experiments and analyses; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; help suggest modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with a senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students on computational protocols and best practices.
*- Other duties may also be assigned Desired Qualifications:
Education & Experience (REQUIRED):
- Bachelor's degree in a quantitative field, life science discipline, or related field.
- Fluency in a programming language for biological data science analyses, including R (preferred), Python (preferred), Julia, C++, Perl, and/or Matlab.
- Basic knowledge of the unix command line environment is required.
- Knowledge and experience in any of the following fields: immunology, molecular biology, cell biology, genomics, or related biology and bio-engineering fields.
- Other qualities of a successful application would include evidence of being self-motivated, possessing strong communication skills, and the ability and desire to perform as part of a team.
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
Perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, and write by hand.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job. Working Conditions:
The expected pay range for this position is $63,153 to $75,535 per annum. Stanford University provides pay ranges representing its good faith estimate of what the university reasonably expects to pay for a position. The pay offered to a selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal equity, geographic location and external market pay for comparable jobs.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
- Due to the nature of the work, this position will work fully onsite.