Mammoth Biosciences is looking for a motivated and independent individual to join our growing Nucleic Acid Technologies (NATx) team as a Scientist I/II. This position will report directly to the Director of NATx and will play an integral role in advancing the next generation of genome editing therapeutics.
This position is well-suited for a creative scientist with domain expertise in ribonucleic acid/oligonucleotide biochemistry, design and synthesis. A successful candidate will have the opportunity to use his/her/their expertise to improve the specificity and potency of Mammoth's proprietary nuclease CRISPR-based gene editing systems.
This role will have the opportunity to lead multiple research projects and collaborate with other stakeholders to drive innovative research into a clinical setting. The ideal candidate will be expected to work independently and as part of a team and be excited to learn and grow as a leader. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct in-depth research and analysis of mRNA-based therapeutics, focusing on drug optimization and characterization of mRNA molecules.
- Design and execute experiments to develop, refine, and validate mRNA drug candidates for various therapeutic indications.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams including molecular biologists, bioinformaticians, and biologists to ensure the successful translation of research findings into actionable development strategies.
- Apply advanced techniques in molecular biology, cellular biology, and biochemistry to elucidate mechanisms of mRNA-based drug action and optimize their therapeutic efficacy.
- Employ computational tools and bioinformatics to analyze large datasets and predict potential mRNA targets for drug development.
- Stay current with scientific literature, industry trends, and emerging technologies related to mRNA therapeutics, and integrate this knowledge into research strategies.
- Document experimental protocols, results, and findings accurately and efficiently.
- Present research findings at internal meetings and potentially at external conferences and scientific forums.
- Contribute to the preparation of scientific publications, patents, and regulatory documentation as required.
- Mentor and provide guidance to junior members of the research team.
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Virology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, or a related field with a strong focus on mRNA research
- Proven track record of designing and conducting experiments related to mRNA-based drug optimization and delivery
- Proficiency in various molecular and cellular biology techniques such as PCR, RT-qPCR, gene expression analysis, cell culture, transfection, and gene editing
- Understanding of methods to determine mRNA characterization and stability
- Experience with bioinformatics tools and data analysis methods related to mRNA structure prediction and optimization
- Experience in CRISPR Therapeutics using non-viral delivery
- Experience in mRNA drug development and/or platform development
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to critically evaluate and interpret complex scientific data
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and able to work independently to meet project goals and deadlines
- A foundation in experimental documentation, basic statistical analysis and data presentation
- Familiarity with in vivo models for evaluating mRNA-based therapeutics
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Company-paid health/vision/dental benefits
- Unlimited vacation and generous sick time
- Company-sponsored meals and snacks
- Wellness, caregiver and ergonomics benefits
- 401(k) with company matching
Base Salary Range: $118,750 - $147,000
The listed base salary range is for Mammoth employees in the Bay Area. Actual base salary will be determined by geographic work location, relevant professional experience, applicable skills, and internal equity. The base salary range for those working remotely outside of the San Francisco Bay Area may differ and will be determined by industry market data for the role and specific region.
Mammoth Biosciences is a biotechnology company focused on leveraging its proprietary ultracompact CRISPR systems to develop long-term curative therapies, as well as other applications such as decentralized precision diagnostics. Founded by CRISPR pioneer and Nobel laureate Jennifer Doudna and Trevor Martin, Janice Chen, and Lucas Harrington, the company's ultracompact proteins are designed to enable in vivo gene editing in difficult to reach tissues utilizing both nuclease applications and new editing modalities beyond double stranded breaks, including base editing, gene writing, and epigenetic editing. The company is building out its pipeline of potential in vivo gene editing therapeutics and capabilities and has partnerships with leading pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies to broaden the reach of its innovative and proprietary technology. Mammoth's deep science and industry experience, along with a robust and differentiated intellectual property portfolio, have enabled the company to further its mission to transform the lives of patients and deliver on the full promise of CRISPR technologies.
It is our policy and intent to provide equal opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, political affiliation, sex/gender (including gender expression/identity, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, veteran status, disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics, and/or any other basis protected by law. This policy covers all facets of employment including, but not limited to: recruitment, selection, placement, promotions, transfers, demotions, terminations, training, and compensation.
Mammoth Biosciences requires that all employees be vaccinated against Covid-19 as a condition of at-will employment, with exceptions for medical or religious reasons in compliance with local, state, and federal law.