$52,648.00 - $55,500.00 Annually Location :
Snow College - Ephraim, UT Job Type:
Faculty Job Number:
English Opening Date:
04/06/2023 Closing Date:
Description **This position has been placed on HOLD**
The Snow College English and Philosophy Department is seeking applicants for the position of Instructor/Assistant Professor of English at its Ephraim campus. This position is a one-year (nine months) full-time position (with possible renewal) to begin August 2023.
- Master's degree in English, philosophy, or closely related field required (Ph.D. degree welcome). Preference will be given to candidates with a degree in rhetoric and composition or substantive coursework/training in rhetoric and composition.
- Higher education teaching experience in composition required, especially experience with developmental composition.
- Higher education experience teaching lower-division literature, philosophy, and/or creative writing.
- Ability to instruct students from diverse ethnic, economic, educational, and other backgrounds.
- Ability to teach courses through a variety of delivery modes, including online and broadcast settings.
- Ability to plan, administer, and assess writing curriculum.
- Ability to use learning management software.
- Ability to teach in Snow College's interdisciplinary Foundations program (see Additional Information section below).
- Teach fall and spring semesters on a nine-month contract beginning August 2023, with possibility of renewal for subsequent year.
- Provide instruction each semester in developmental and/or first- and second-year composition (three sections) and lower-division literature, creative writing, or philosophy (one section).
- Assume responsibilities as a full-time faculty member, including departmental and curriculum planning/assessment, professional and scholarly development, institutional and community service, and student recruitment and advisement.
- Snow College is located in Ephraim, a rural town in central Utah, approximately 120 miles south of Salt Lake City. There are multiple, year-round, outdoor recreational opportunities in nearby mountains and desert lands.
- Snow College is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Snow College is committed to providing an inclusive academic environment; individuals from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Quality general education is a promise that Snow College makes to each student. All faculty members are expected to teach general education courses in their area of expertise as well as assist in the development and teaching of a dynamic freshman Foundation seminar. This seminar is an interdisciplinary course, taught with a common theme by three faculty members. It reinforces the meaning and reason behind higher education, promotes integrative thinking, and starts the student on the pathway to becoming a lifelong learner. All applicants are expected to be ready to share a topic or idea from their area of expertise that lends itself to a multifaceted, interdisciplinary class.
The college reserves the right to delay the final selection or to end the search with notice to the applicants.
Please attach the following:
- Cover Letter
- Teaching Philosophy
Applications received by 11:59 PM on May 6, 2023
, will be eligible for review by the hiring committee. Applications received after that date may not be reviewed by the hiring committee unless deemed appropriate by college administration. Initial screening is based on the responses to the online submitted application, as well as your redacted resume, curriculum vitae (CV), cover letter and teaching philosophy statement. Transcripts or any other submitted material will not be considered during initial screening.
Snow College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and educator. The college strongly encourages individuals from underrepresented groups, women, veterans, and those with disabilities to apply.
With campuses in both Ephraim and Richfield, Snow College offers programs and courses that are highly interactive and are designed to reach a broad spectrum of students: high school students desiring college courses, traditional on-campus students, technical education students, online students, non-traditional students who wish to start or complete a degree. Snow is committed to the success and positive experience of every one of these students.
Snow College is a two-year public college, and in January 2020, The Chronicle of Higher Education ranked Snow College #1 in the nation for student success in two-year colleges. Located in the heart of Utah, at the foot of the Wasatch Mountains, Snow College is one of the oldest comprehensive two-year college in the Western United States.
The College was established in 1888; excellence continues to be the hallmark of all our work and activities. We are the preferred choice of approximately 6,000 students, with 600 students attending the Richfield campus, who want a small College experience filled with a variety of many different activities, events, and performances. With campuses located in Ephraim, Richfield, and online, students complete degrees in Associate of Arts, Science, or Applied Science with numerous specialized, short-term technical training certificates and diplomas including a few Bachelor's degrees. To learn more about Snow College, please visit our website or see our job brochure.
Snow College offers benefits including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, retirement, and more.
Below is an estimate of the benefits you would receive according to the salary listed in the example: Salary:Total Benefits
(based on a family plan, including retirement, life insurance, FICA, disability etc.):$55,000$33,700
To find out the most current information on benefits offered by Snow College to full-time employees, please visit our .
To find out the most current information on benefits offered by Snow College to full-time employees, please visit our