The Srivastava Lab at the Gladstone Institutes and UCSF is seeking a highly motivated, organized and dedicated Bioinformatician Research Associate to support the bioinformatics and statistical needs of our team. In support of our research on developing and implementing new computational methods in genomics and molecular biology in the context of stem cell biology, cardiac/neural development, disease and repair. Current projects are aimed on streamlining and standardizing computational workflows of including but not limited to single cell and nuclei RNA sequencing, proteomics, ChIPSeq. We are looking for candidates with some background in biology and general science, proficient in R, and familiar with the UNIX command line. The ideal candidate will have familiarity with Git and GitHub, understanding of machine learning (ML) fundamentals, and experience in their preferred language.Responsibilities:
- Support and develop the automated pipelines that enable rapid genomic data generation and processing with the Wynton High Performance Computing (HPC) system
- Troubleshoot data processing and data management system and suggest novel concept/ideas to improve existed systems
- Manage the flow and processing of large datasets within the Wynton HPC system
- Develop scripts for data analysis, statistical modeling, and visualization
- Assist postdoctoral scholars and Ph.D. students with data analysis and interpretation
- Collaborate with the Gladstone Genomics Core and Gladstone Bioinformatics Core
- Associate's degree and 2+ years of directly relevant experience
- Bachelor's degree or higher in biological or computational sciences (preferred)
- Intermediate to advanced with R and the UNIX command line
- Familiarity with Git and GitHub
- Experience building RShiny apps
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly
- A confident and intelligent approach to problem-solving
- Understanding of Machine Learning fundamentals (bonus points for experience in the candidate's preferred language)
- Experience with common bioinformatics data formats (fastq, bed, etc.)
- Experience with common bioinformatics software (STAR, EdgeR, Seurat, cellranger)
- Experience with Python and other programming languages
- Familiarity with genomics visualization tools like IGV/UCSC genome browser
To apply, please submit:
- Cover letter demonstrating your bio/science knowledge, proficiency in R and/or Python, and familiarity with the UNIX command line.
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or Resume highlighting relevant coursework and small projects.
- Optional: Showcase a reasonably complex project with a deliverable written in your preferred language (e.g., predicting patient outcomes using time-series clinical data).
- Optional: Provide evidence of experience with the nice-to-have skills mentioned above.
Join our dynamic and collaborative team to contribute to groundbreaking research in stem cell, cardiac and neuroscience. We offer competitive compensation, excellent benefits, and ample opportunities for growth and learning. Candidates with the must-have qualifications and a willingness to learn and adapt will excel in this role.
- Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- Gladstone is an equal opportunity employer.