The University of Maine Presque Isle is seeking a broadly-trained agricultural scientist for a 9-month tenure-track position
as Associate or Assistant Professor of Agricultural Science
.This faculty position also serves as the Dr. Robert Vinton Akeley Chair in Agricultural Science and Agribusiness.The successful candidate will bring a demonstrated ability of teaching and research in the broad areas of agronomy, crop science, agroecology, and other plant and agricultural science areas. The candidate should have the ability to lead and grow an exciting and innovative undergraduate academic program, build capacity within this program, and to further develop dynamic connections to support the needs of a rural, agricultural area.
The University of Maine Presque Isle recently established a B.S. in Agricultural Science and Agribusiness, which includes a range of courses in agricultural sciences along with several courses in agricultural management, marketing, and analysis. Our agricultural science facilities include 60 acres of agricultural land, updated agricultural teaching and research labs, and a 4-season greenhouse constructed in 2019. Through this endowed faculty line, our program is well positioned to enhance education, research, workforce development, and connections to our regional agricultural community.Our region is the center of agricultural production in Maine with an emphasis on potatoes, broccoli, and grains.There are active connections with industry, producers, trade organizations, cooperative extension, and the adjacent Aroostook Research Farm, which focuses on potato production.
- 15-18 contact hours of teaching per year which may include traditional fall and spring offerings, with potential for summer field or research-based courses;
- Advising; service to the department, university and community;
- Collaboration with regional agricultural businesses and organizations.
- Conduct basic and applied research utilizing laboratory, greenhouse, and/or field resources,
- Secure external funding for research and program development
- Involve undergraduate students in their projects.
Salary and rank will be commensurate with education and work experience. The university offers an excellent benefits package , including a 10% employer contribution to the University of Maine System retirement plan. Additional benefits include medical, dental, vision, and tuition waiver programs for employees and dependents.The University of Maine System is a recipient of the Wellness Councils of America's Well Workplace Award and offers wellness programs. About the University
For more than a century, the University of Maine at Presque Isle has been helping students find their path to great professional careers providing its 1,300 traditional and non-traditional students from all areas of the state, country, and world with life-changing opportunities in a caring, small-university environment.
Further information about the University of Maine at Presque Isle can be found at https://www.umpi.edu/
For information about the University of Maine System's COVID-19 response and guidelines for employees, please visit https://www.maine.edu/together/ .
The university sits on 150 acres surrounded by the rolling hills and potato fields of northern Maine and the university strives to be the region's premier learning institution while helping to stimulate cultural and economic development in Aroostook County and the State of Maine. The university serves as an educational and cultural center for the area and its facilities are utilized for lectures, programs, concerts, dance performances, exhibits, and plays that benefit the entire region.
Learn more about what Aroostook County has to offer here . Qualifications
- Ph.D. (or ABD) in a program with a strong emphasis on agricultural sciences.
- Demonstrated experience in teaching introductory and/or upper-level agricultural science courses
- Effective oral and written communication skills, and ability to collaborate with the campus, local, and regional communities (academic and agricultural)
- Demonstrated experience or ability to employ high-impact teaching practices, multiple forms of formative and summative assessment, and technology that qualitatively improves the learning experience, including on-line teaching methods
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research that engages undergraduates, can garner extramural funding, and advance existing and new regional agricultural practices
- Demonstrated experience in use of agricultural technologies, which may include greenhouse management, use of farm equipment and technologies, and field and laboratory approaches to agricultural research
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
- 3+ years teaching at the collegiate level (may include as a graduate assistant)
- 3+ years in an agricultural educational, leadership, or research role in higher education or in the agricultural sector
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Experience with FFA, as a student, mentor, or collaborator
- Candidate interested in supporting student clubs related to agriculture
- Experience with potato cropping systems or other northern-tier crops
Materials must be submitted via "Apply For Position" below. You will need to create a profile and application and upload:
1.) a cover letter which describes your experience, interests, and suitability for the position with specific reference to the qualifications outlined above
2.) a resume/curriculum vitae
3.) contact information for three professional references
4.) a teaching statement
5.) a research statement that outlines a plan for engaging undergraduates and may provide opportunities for modest extramural funding
6.) official transcripts will be required from applicants selected to interview
You will also need to submit the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status forms. Incomplete application materials cannot be considered. Materials received after the initial review date will be reviewed at the discretion of the university.
We are not able to consider applicants who require Visa sponsorship support.
Appropriate background screening will be conducted for the successful candidate.
The University of Maine at Presque Isle is an EEO/AA employer, and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran's status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following office has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Office of Equal Opportunity, University ofMaine, 5713 Chadbourne Hall, Room 412, Orono, ME04469 207-581-1226.TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).
Cover Letter, References, Research Prospectus, Resume/CV, Teaching Philosophy, Transcripts