You will lead a large team of approximately 55 scientists and colleagues (full time colleagues and contractors) primarily in the US and UK, with responsibility for all aspects of solid-state chemistry and particle property control (from candidate selection to commercialization) for a portfolio of development assets, inclusive of all line-related operational and strategic leadership elements, necessary to deliver Pfizer's small molecule portfolio.
Line Managers and subject matter experts will report directly to you. Your key focus will be talent development for the next generation of scientific leaders and managers and promotion of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in the organization. You will also ensure the department science and technology investment strategy meets future needs. You will be a member of the global DPD Leadership Team and represent DPD on key global Governance bodies such as the Early Portfolio Development Group ( EPDG), and steering teams such as the Drug Product Steering Team (DPST ) to influence strategy and alignment across DPD, Chemical R&D, Analytical R&D, Medicines Design, Drug Safety R&D (DSRD), and Pfizer Global Supply (PGS).POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead all solid-state chemistry and particle property strategies from discovery (pre-clinical) to filing and commercial launch for small molecule drug products in conjunction with Co-Discovery and Co-Development partners.
- Overall resourcing of the global Materials Sciences group. Ensures that the group has sufficient resources to deliver the portfolio in a sustainable, safe manner and to the highest quality standards.
- Ensures all external relationships with third-parties, academia and industry consortia deliver our scientific, technical and talents needs of the future.
- Provides all required Materials Science project support and resourcing for Pfizer Science Small Molecule (PSSM) project teams, working collaboratively with global partners and stakeholders.
- Provisions Pfizer with state-of-the-art facilities and in-house expertise for the physical analysis of all new products (such as single crystal X-ray and solid-state NMR).
- Ensures workflows and technologies are continuously improved to enable efficient and effective product development.
- Serves on the DPD leadership team. Influences key decisions at PSSM governance meetings, contributes to regulatory filing strategies & supports due-diligence evaluations.
- Ensures talent management and the development of leaders in the organization supporting Pfizer's DEI objectives.
- BS in Chemistry, Pharmacy, or an Engineering discipline and a minimum of 15 years relevant experience in pharmaceutical materials sciences, drug product development, or related discipline or
- MS in Chemistry, Pharmacy, or an Engineering discipline and a minimum of 13 years relevant experience in pharmaceutical materials sciences, drug product development, or related discipline or
- PhD in Chemistry, Pharmacy, or an Engineering discipline and a minimum of 10 years relevant experience in pharmaceutical materials sciences, drug product development, or related discipline
- Demonstrated experience in global filing and successful commercial launch of diversity of drug product types.
- Experience partnering and leading credibly with and influencing the most senior leaders of R&D and global organizations
- Demonstrated experience as a leader of leaders in a large organization
- Demonstrated success in talent development and DEI initiatives.
- Strong matrix leadership experience in a cross-divisional team environment with experience addressing complex technical and logistical situations
- Experience leveraging and influencing with portfolio governance and external opinion leader
- Experience making sound decisions, leveraging entrepreneurial thinking and creativity and navigating in a complex R&Dand global ecosystem
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- High academic credibility with a strong track record of publications
- Experience establishing collaborative partnerships supporting business needs
- Experience establishing and leading external collaborations and new business paradigms
- Experience working across multiple sites and on global teams and initiatives
- Experience managing 24/7 work schedule without impacting work life balance
- Wiling/able to travel globally 15% to 20%
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development