Job Description About Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University:
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is an independent, culturally diverse institution providing quality education and research in aviation, aerospace, engineering, and other related fields with residential campuses located in Daytona Beach, Florida and Prescott, Arizona. The University's Worldwide campus provides educational opportunities online and at approximately 130 locations throughout the United States, Asia, Europe, and Central/South America.
As the largest and most comprehensive aviation and aerospace-focused university in the world, Embry-Riddle is a unique institution. Over the past 90 years, the University has evolved with industry to break new ground and produce top-level graduates who serve the ever-changing needs of aviation and aerospace and other STEM-related disciplines. Embry-Riddle offers programs in seven primary fields of study including: Applied Science; Aviation; Business; Computers and Technology; Engineering; Safety, Security, and Intelligence; and Space.
For Academic Year 2021-22, there were over 11,100 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students that attended the University's residential campuses and approximately 20,195 students in total enrolled with the University around the world. The Opportunity:
Come join a dynamic team that is transforming how we educate the next generation of aviation and aerospace industry professionals. The College of Aviation's Extended Reality (XR) Lab supports the adoption, research and development of all forms of spatial computing. Our growing team works with faculty and students to provide transformative XR experiences that enhance how we educate and train students. The XR Lab also supports faculty research dedicated to developing innovative XR solutions to enhance training in a variety of areas.
Embry-Riddle is now hiring a Developer in the XR Laboratory in the College of Aviation at the Daytona Beach campus. This position is responsible for the development of immersive simulations and the design of interactive media, specializing in virtual, mixed and augmented reality.
- Serve as a member of the college's expert for Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), and Mixed Reality (MR) projects.
- Create, maintain, and upgrade VR and AR simulations.
- Participate in faculty meetings where learning and research are discussed to detect possible immersive simulation applications and to advocate potential VR and AR solutions.
- Keep informed of technological developments and commercialization to advocate the purchase of new equipment and software for learning and research needs in the college.
- Develop VR and AR systems for faculty and students in disciplines such as meteorology, aircraft maintenance, spaceflight operations, air traffic management, pilot education and training, and UAS operations.
- Under the direction of the XR Lab Manager, collaborate with faculty who wish to develop immersive simulations for research and teaching.
- Under the direction of the XR Lab Manager, collaborate with graduate students pursuing thesis and dissertation research associated with VR and AR.
- Retain and grow expertise in software programs associated with the development of immersive simulations.
- Under the direction of the XR Lab Manager, manage projects within the constraints of schedule, budget, and resources.
Project and Laboratory Management
- Coordinate the operation and upgrades to the XR Lab.
- Under the direction of the XR Lab Manager, work with a team of students who develop applications and assist with lab operations.
- Make the lab available to users (tour groups, guests, researchers, team members, students).
- Keep a current schedule of lab availability visible to hallway traffic.
- Schedule the use of equipment in the lab in response to requests by faculty and students.
- Provide tours of the lab, when requested, such as during visits by parents, alumni, and industry guests.
- Ensure the lab equipment and environment are clean and the technology is in good working order.
- Work closely with other technology experts in the college and with the Information Technology Department to troubleshoot equipment and assess new equipment and software for purchase.
- Keep informed of technological developments and commercialization to advocate the purchase of new equipment and software for the lab.
- Liaise with similar efforts throughout the university and in other parts of academia, government, and industry.
- Organize workshops, demonstrations, and promotional material that demonstrate the college VR/AR capabilities.
- Attend a few technology conferences every year to present the work underway in the college's VR Lab and to learn the latest advancements in the field.
Based on University policy, this position is not eligible for visa sponsorship. Qualifications Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree.
- 3-5 years of programming experience in an object-oriented programming language and 2 years of Unity C# experience will be considered in lieu of a Bachelor's degree.
- Analytical skills with an in-depth knowledge of information systems and technical expertise with Microsoft operating systems, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook/email, and Internet end-user applications.
- Video game (or equivalent) development skills and proficiency using C# and Unity.
- Ability to develop virtual reality and augmented reality interactive applications and/or simulations using Unity, to include hands-on prototyping experience with Unity, and knowledge of how virtual reality can be applied in a variety of circumstances to aid learning and research in aviation and aerospace.
- Must be able to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- 3+ years of programming experience in an object-oriented programming language.
- 2+ years of Unity C# experience.
- Multiplayer/networking experience in simulations/games.
- Familiarity with VR/AR project environments.
- Familiarity with OpenXR and SteamVR.
- Experience using source control software (PlasticSCM, GitHub, TortoiseSVN).
- Familiarity with implementing art assets into Unity.
- Able to build complex VR/AR simulations that are optimized and performant.
- Experience working on a team.
- Graduate degree in a software-related field, or having completed a graduate thesis in a software-related field or be completing such a course of study.
- Possession of aviation experience, as demonstrated through employment in aviation or through possession of pilot or aviation maintenance technician certificates.
To be considered, please include a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references.