Department of Physics | Florida State University College of Arts & Sciences
The FSU Physics Department offers research programs that are well-funded, diverse, and provide a breadth of learning and teaching experience to over 300 graduate and undergraduate students. The department is comprised of over 60 faculty members specializing in condensed matter, nuclear, high-energy, atomic, bio-, and astrophysics.
The Physics Department houses unique experimental facilities such as the John D. Fox Nuclear Accelerator Laboratory, where this position is located. Responsibilities Who is an ideal candidate for this position?
An individual who likes mastering the multiple components of a unique accelerator facility, including performing complex technical procedures in set up and maintenance and new developments. On-the-job training will be provided. Someone who enjoys coordinating projects with the mechanical, electronic and computer resources and staff towards reliable operation of the accelerator. The ideal candidate can work well on multiple projects, successfully balancing short-term and long-term goals and enjoys seeing their efforts come together as planned. Professional communication skills are required. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to broaden their horizon and realize their technical creativity in one-of-a-kind solutions. A typical day in this position includes:
- Operating the liquid-Helium (LHE) refrigerator facility at the John D. Fox Accelerator laboratory, including optimization of Helium production, monitoring and correcting alarm conditions.
- Maintenance and development of the LHE facility, performing regular maintenance and repairs, coordinating work performed of instrument and electronic shops.
- Performing operation of linear accelerator, including cool-down and warm-up procedures, optimizing and documenting resonator performance. Performing initial set up of linear accelerator for experiments.
- Performing linear accelerator maintenance, repairs and upgrades, including cleaning and repair of resonators components, diagnostic and repair of linac. electronics components, in collaboration with electronics shop staff. Develops upgrade projects in coordination with lab director.
- Documenting linear accelerator and cryogenics procedures for laboratory users.
- Instructing graduate students on use of linear accelerator.
- Academic master's degree or highest-level terminal degree from an accredited institution in experimental Physics, Engineering, or related fields or equivalent qualifications based on professional experience and otherwise qualified to perform assigned duties.
- Candidates without a terminal degree may be considered with University approval based on substantial professional experience in Physics, Engineering, or related fields in addition to other relevant education and training.
- Experience in vacuum technology and/or cryogenics technologies
- Ability to operate, maintain and enhance the liquid-Helium facility after on-the-job training
- Ability to operate, maintain and enhance the superconducting linear accelerator after on-the-job training
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to document complex technical procedures
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Ingo Wiedenhoever at email@example.com . University Information
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there's the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow's news!
Learn more about our university and campuses. FSU Total Rewards
FSU offers a robust Total Rewards package. Visit our website to learn more about our Compensation, Benefits, Wellness, Recognition, and Employee Development programs.
Use our interactive tool to calculate Total Compensation options based on potential salary, benefits and retirement contributions, earned leave, and other employment-related perks. How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific Faculty job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://hr.fsu.edu/facultyjobs. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service. Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include education details even if attaching a Vita.
This position requires that you have three confidential professional letters of recommendation submitted on your behalf. Follow the steps below to request these letters through our system:
1) After submitting your application, click the Careers link
2) Click the My References link
3) Click the Send/View Reference Request button next to the appropriate position
4) Follow the steps on that page to send your references a system generated email requesting they submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf
You may also return to the My References link and click on "Send/View Reference Request" to see if your references have responded, add additional references, or resend requests. Considerations
This is a Faculty position.
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check.
This position is being re-advertised. Previous applicants need not reapply.
This position is being advertised as open until filled. Applications will be reviewed monthly. Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf .