Working Title Information Technology (IT) Faculty Role Title 9 month-Assistant Professor Role Code 01014-SW FLSA Exempt Pay Band 00 Position Number 293F0025 Agency Virginia Peninsula Community College Agency/Division Virginia Peninsula Community College (Div) Work Location Hampton - 650 Hiring Range $50,750 - $82,500; commensurate with education and experience Emergency/Essential Personnel No EEO Category I-Faculty Full Time or Part Time Full Time Does this position have telework options? -Telework options are subject to change based on business needs- Does this position have a bilingual or multilingual skill requirement or preference? Work Schedule
Sensitive Position No Job Description The search will remain open until the position is filled; however, to be considered for the initial screening, candidates should submit a complete application package by September 28, 2023. Our anticipated start date for this position will be January 2024.
Virginia Peninsula Community College ( VPCC ) welcomes applications for Information Technology Faculty. VPCC is located on the Virginia Peninsula in the heart of Hampton Roads, a region renowned for being the birthplace of America and home to communities rich in culture and industry. Bordering the Chesapeake Bay, the region boasts beaches, major attractions, world-class museums, and a vibrant visual and performing arts scene. The area is known for its economic vitality, which includes being home to several military bases, ship building facilities, the NASA Langley Research Center and Jefferson Lab, major colleges and universities, and varied commercial industries and enterprises.
VPCC is a comprehensive community college, offering a variety of programs of study leading to an associate's degree, certificate, or career studies certificate. In addition to the many popular transfer degree programs, the college is known for its strong career & technical programs and its outreach to the community as a partner and leader in workforce development.
Founded in 1967, VPCC serves over 8,500 students each year in credit instruction and over 2,500 in non-credit instruction and workforce services. The College is served by over 80 full time faculty, 200 adjunct faculty, and 150 staff members. Faculty and staff are strategic and responsive, committed to understanding and meeting the needs of the region.
The College has two campuses, one in Hampton and the Historic Triangle Campus located in Williamsburg. The College also has a satellite site at the Southeast Higher Education Center in Newport News. The communities served by the College are the Cities of Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson, and Williamsburg, and the Counties of James City and York.
Information Technology/Cybersecurity faculty must provide instruction, support, assessment, and mentorship to Virginia Peninsula Community College's students. Faculty are required to participate in the mission and community of the college entirely. The primary emphasis shall be on teaching by working with students in classrooms, distant learning, laboratories, individual conferences, and related activities to help the students develop their interests and abilities to the fullest capacity to become better persons, better workers, and better citizens. Teaching Load:
Virginia Peninsula seeks faculty to teach a minimum of 15 credit hours/24 contact hours of lecture and laboratory each semester and other instructional loads as assigned, which may include classes at the Hampton or Historic Triangle campus and online classes: day, evening, and weekend classes. Contribute high energy, engagement, creativity, and leadership to the teaching and learning environment. Professional Activities and Contributions:
Design, develop, and assess curriculum. Serve as a faculty mentor for students and contribute to college governance and service. Collaborate in a diverse and collegial organizational culture with high standards for performance. Remain current in the academic discipline and in trends in teaching through professional development, further education, and or scholarship. Office Hours
To promote the availability of faculty to work with individual students, all full-time faculty members are required to post their office hours of a minimum of 10 hours per week. The faculty are expected to be available to work with students on their individual academic and occupational concerns. Additional Activities
Additional activities include committee work, student and community activities, student advising, and professional activities: e.g., discipline-specific initiatives and program assessment.
Performs other duties as assigned.
May be required to perform other duties as assigned. May be required to assist the agency or state government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor.
- A master's degree in Information Technology or a closely related field with at least 18 graduate credit hours in Information Technology from a regionally accredited institution.
- Have a passion for the discipline of and commitment to student-centered philosophy in support of academic excellence for diverse groups of learners.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in communication with students, colleagues, staff, and administrators as an individual or as a part of a team.
- Willingness to serve the needs of traditional and non-traditional students from various backgrounds and age groups.
- Plan and organize instruction in ways that maximize documented student learning.
- Adopt methods that fairly measure student progress toward student learning outcomes.
- Evaluate student performance fairly and consistently and return student work promptly to promote maximum learning.
- Maintain accurate records of student progress and submit final grade rosters to the division administrator each semester according to established deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience and strong interest in teaching and inspiring adult learners to fulfill the College's mission to change lives and empower students to succeed.
- Must be able to work at all campus locations.
- Community college teaching experience.
- Teaching experience online or hybrid and traditional face-to-face classroom modalities.
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience in using instructional technologies and learning management systems (e.g., Canvas) with the ability to use technology to enhance teaching and educational experience.
- Demonstrated ability to measure, assess and align student outcomes within courses or programs.
- Experience with and credentialing in networking and cybersecurity. Credentialing includes but is not limited to industry certifications such as those sponsored by CompTIA, Cisco Systems, GIAC , or similar organizations involved with credentialing cybersecurity professionals.
Operation of a State Vehicle Yes Supervises Employees No Required Travel
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number FAC_1072P Recruitment Type General Public - G Number of Vacancies 1 Position End Date (if temporary) Job Open Date 09/07/2023 Job Close Date 12/31/2023 Open Until Filled Yes Agency Website www.VPCC.edu Contact Name Human Resources Email firstname.lastname@example.org Phone Number 757-825-2728 Special Instructions to Applicants Additional Information Background Check Statement Disclaimer
The selected candidate's offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth's Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link:http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
The Virginia Community College System, anEEOemployer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, theVCCSis committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
TheVCCSis anEOEand Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts ( ADA and ADAAA ), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.
VCCSuses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.