The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Large Employers in 2023.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
Rotational Nursing Position-Wards & ICU Departments
Job Profile Title
Veterinary Technician D
Job Description Summary
We are seeking a skilled and compassionate nurse to fill a unique rotational position between our wards and Intensive Care Unit (ICU) departments. As a valued member of our veterinary healthcare team, you will play a pivotal role in providing exceptional care to both critical and non-critical patients. This position offers a dynamic opportunity to work in various clinical settings, including the wards and ICU, fostering professional growth and expertise.
* Patient Care: Deliver comprehensive and attentive nursing care to a diverse range of patients, including critically ill, post-operative, intermediate level, and infectious disease cases. Maintain a high standard of patient comfort, safety, and welfare throughout their hospitalization.
* Clinical Rotations: Participate in rotations between the wards and ICU departments on a predetermined schedule. Effectively transition between different patient populations, ensuring consistent and quality care delivery.
* Teaching: Engage with 4th year School of Veterinary Medicine students and nursing students during clinical rounds and practical training sessions. Share your expertise, provide guidance, and facilitate a positive learning experience.
* Collaboration: Collaborate closely with the veterinary medical team, including veterinarians, technicians, and support staff, to create a cohesive and efficient patient care environment. Contribute to interdisciplinary discussions on patient treatment plans and progress.
* Critical Care: Excel in the management of critical patients, applying advanced nursing skills and critical thinking to monitor vital signs, administer medications, and intervene promptly in emergency situations.
* Education and Training: Stay updated on current veterinary nursing practices, technologies, and advancements. Attend relevant workshops, conferences, and training sessions to continuously enhance your clinical skills.
* Isolation and Infectious Disease Care: Demonstrate proficiency in implementing strict isolation protocols for patients with infectious diseases. Maintain a thorough understanding of biosecurity measures and infection control procedures.
* Veterinary Technician, Anesthesia A- CVT or board eligible- 0-1 year of experience
* Veterinary Technician, Anesthesia B- CVT 2-3 years of experience
* Veterinary Technician, Anesthesia C- CVT 3-4 years of experience
* Veterinary Technician, Anesthesia D- CVT 5-8 years of experience
* Strong communication skills to interact effectively with students, colleagues, and clients.
* Adaptability and flexibility to seamlessly transition between different clinical settings.
* Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, high-stress environment.
* Competitive salary and benefits package.
* Professional development opportunities, including continued education support.
* Exposure to a wide variety of cases and the chance to work with cutting-edge medical technology.
* Collaborative and supportive work environment.
* Contribution to the education of future veterinary and nursing professionals.
If you are a motivated and skilled nurse with a desire to make a meaningful impact on the lives of animals and the education of future healthcare professionals, we encourage you to apply for this exciting rotational nursing position. Join our dedicated team and help us provide exceptional patient care across different clinical environments.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
Rotating schedule, 40 hours, days, mid-shift, overnights, weekends rotating between ICU and wards.
Must be able to lift 25-50 pounds, stand for prolonged periods of time as well as bend, kneel, crouch while working with patients in low cages.
Working environment can be loud at times with barking dogs and equipment alarms.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Veterinary Medicine
$20.45 - $33.00 Hourly Rate
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
* Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
* Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
* Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
* Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family-whatever your personal needs may be.
* Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
* Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
* Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
* University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement-and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
* Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
* Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
* Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
* Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay