BIOINFORMATICS PROGR 1 Department:
NEUROSCIENCES Hiring Pay Scale
$56,000 - $75,000 Worksite:
La Jolla Appointment Type:
Career Appointment Percent:
Uncovered Total Openings:
1 Work Schedule:
Days, 8 hrs/day, Monday - Friday #125168 Scientific Research Programmer Filing Deadline: Fri 9/22/2023
Apply Now UC San Diego values equity, diversity, and inclusion. If you are interested in being part of our team, possess the needed licensure and certifications, and feel that you have most of the qualifications and/or transferable skills for a job opening, we strongly encourage you to apply.For the safety and well-being of the entire university community, the University of California requires, with few exceptions, that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and influenza before they will be allowed on campus or in a facility or office. For more information visit: Flu Vaccine Mandate / COVID Vaccine Policy
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment : Apply by 9/13/2023 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants : Apply by 9/22/2023. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance. DESCRIPTION
The Department of Neuroscience is responsible for fulfilling the teaching, research, and clinical missions of the University of California, San Diego.
Under supervision of the PI, the incumbent will perform programming and/or assist in design and analysis of systems to decipher the role of genetic variants, including Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs), Structural Variants (SVs), Insertion Deletion polymorphisms (INDELS) and Short Tandem Repeats (STRs) in human disease. The incumbent will be responsible for maintaining computational pipelines for processing, analyzing, and visualizing large volumes of whole genome sequence, RNA sequencing and other genome-wide datasets. Pipelines will consist of open source as well as custom software. The incumbent will also develop and maintain web applications and assist in packaging custom software as open source tools. Additional duties will include helping manage the group's compute resources and performing systems administration tasks. Finally, the incumbent will occasionally be required to coordinate with an international team of scientists to develop data acquisition and analysis strategies.
Under direct supervision, applies professional bioinformatics concepts and computational procedures to complete small projects or portions of projects. Works on assignments of limited scope and complexity. Follows standard programming procedures to analyze situations and data from which answers can be readily obtained. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Four (4) years of relevant experience or a Bachelor's degree in biological science, computational / programming, or related area and /or equivalent experience / training.
- Basic knowledge of bioinformatics methods and data structures.
- Basic knowledge of applications programming and web development.
- Basic knowledge of databases.
- Basic project management skills.
- Basic knowledge of modern biology and applicable field of research.
- Interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Self motivated, able to learn quickly, meet deadlines and demonstrate problem solving skills.
- Basic knowledge of application and data security concepts.
- Knowledge in the development of bioinformatics tools as well as biological sciences in the field of genomics or computational biology.
- Understanding of whole genome sequencing and short-reads sequencing technology and application, as well as sources of error.
- Demonstrated programming skills in Python and the bash shell and environment. Familiarity with Linux systems and the command line interface.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, exercise good judgment, solve problems, organize work and set priorities to meet deadlines despite frequent interruptions, shifting schedules and deadlines.
- Demonstrated understanding of computer operating system configurations, and experience with managing cross platform network communications and protocols, computer systems analysis and debugging methods, and current techniques for troubleshooting applications and system problems, including general knowledge of data structures, memory management, file systems, and database management techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain high level of confidentiality in handling and transferring files and data and clear understanding of the Universities data privacy and acceptable use policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills and ability to interact effectively and tactfully with individuals and groups, both within and outside the university.
- Demonstrated ability to work comfortably in cluster and cloud computing environments, such as Amazon Web Resources.
- Experience working with healthcare or biomedical research data. Understanding of HIPAA and other privacy regulations.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
Pay Transparency Act
Annual Full Pay Range: $53,600 - $111,600 (will be prorated if the appointment percentage is less than 100%)
Hourly Equivalent: $25.67 - $53.45
Factors in determining the appropriate compensation for a role include experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, and other business and organizational needs. The Hiring Pay Scale referenced in the job posting is the budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position. The Annual Full Pay Range may be broader than what the University anticipates to pay for this position, based on internal equity, budget, and collective bargaining agreements (when applicable).
Apply Now Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral). If applicable, life-support certifications (BLS, NRP, ACLS, etc.) must include hands-on practice and in-person skills assessment; online-only certification is not acceptable.
UC San Diego Health Sciences is comprised of our School of Medicine, Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, The Herbert Wertheim School of Public Health and Human Longevity Science, and our Student Health and Well-Being Department. We have long been at the forefront of translational - or "bench-to-bedside" - research, transforming patient care through discovery and innovation leading to new drugs and technologies. Translational research is carried out every day in the hundreds of clinical trials of promising new therapies offered through UC San Diego Health, and in the drive of our researchers and clinician-scientists who are committed to having a significant impact on patient care. We invite you to join our team!
Applications/Resumes are accepted for current job openings only. For full consideration on any job, applications must be received prior to the initial closing date. If a job has an extended deadline, applications/resumes will be considered during the extension period; however, a job may be filled before the extended date is reached.
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community .
UC San Diego Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
UC San Diego is a smoke and tobacco free environment. Please visit smokefree.ucsd.edu for more information.
UC San Diego Health maintains a marijuana and drug free environment. Employees may be subject to drug screening.