- Serve as the Program Officer for the basic research portfolio in Astrodynamics. This program provides revolutionary advances in our understanding of the physical processes that impact the motion and control of natural and artificial objects in the gravity fields of the Earth/Moon/Sun system. This portfolio provides a particular focus on the missions associated with the Department of the Air Force (DAF).
- The processes under study include chaotic three-body dynamics, non-Keplerian effects of drag, radiation pressure, nonspherical central bodies, and the role of relativity as important corrections to Newtonian physical analysis. Other goals include 1) creating the scientific foundation for next- generation space control as well as maintenance of the on-orbit catalog and concepts for responsive space, 2) investing in novel concepts for celestial mechanics, space logistics, remote sensing, as well as precision navigation and timing for the entire cis-lunar environment, and 3) facilitating the formation of communities and disciplines that can exploit a wider range of DOD missions and applications.
- Evaluates scientific opportunities and proposes resource distribution. Evaluates and selects proposals for support and controls obligations and expenditures. Advocates programs through oral briefing and written reports within the DAF and to external review panels. Assesses the state-of-the-art and future DOD needs and actively coordinates the research portfolio with DAF activities, other DOD services and agencies, industry as appropriate and other national and international research organizations. Promotes a culture where intellectual Property (IP) is developed, documented, protected, and encouraged.
- Inherent in the technical publication review process is a thorough screening for potential IP. Scientific/engineering knowledge will be utilized to effectively assist in technology transfer or commercialization. May serve on external committees, boards and panels to support the larger scientific community and shape national policies. Follows current research protection/security policies.
Requirements Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Telework may be authorized
- PCS costs may be authorized
- Recruitment incentives may be authorized (may require a service agreement)
- Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) may be offered for eligible candidates (may require a service agreement)
- Selectee is expected to be granted with and/or maintain the appropriate security clearance required for the position
- The incumbent is subject to pre-employment drug testing as a condition of employment, and participation in random drug testing
- The duty location for this position is located at Arlington, VA
- Work may occasionally require the employee to work outside the normal business hours
- For additional information on direct hire opportunities with the Air Force please go to https://afciviliancareers.com/find-a-job/
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
QualificationsBASIC REQUIREMENT OR INDIVIDUAL OCCUPATIONAL REQUIREMENT:
General Physical Science Series:Basic Requirements:
- Degree: physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics.
- Combination of education and experience -- education equivalent to one of the majors shown in A above that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below: Experience requirements are described in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards for General Schedule Positions, Professional and Scientific Positions. Click on the following link to view qualification requirements for this position: to include the Individual Occupational RequirementsSpecialized Experience
: Applicants must have at least one (1) year or 52 weeks of specialized experience equivalent to DR-3/GS-14 in the Federal service or equivalent in an alternate pay system. Specialized Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. EducationIF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY
: If position has a positive degree requirement or education forms the basis for qualifications, you MUST submit transcripts with the application. Official transcripts are not required at the time of application; however, if position has a positive degree requirement, qualifying based on education alone or in combination with experience, transcripts must be verified prior to appointment. An accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education must accredit education. Click here to check accreditation.FOREIGN EDUCATION
: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.For additional information on direct hire opportunities with the Air Force please click here.