At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we're on a mission to improve the quality of human life. We're developing new tools and capabilities to amplify the human experience. To lead this transformative shift in mobility, we've built a world-class team in Human-Centered AI, Human Interactive Driving, Energy and Materials, Machine Learning, and Robotics.Our Human-Aware Interaction and Learning
team is looking for Research Scientists with experience in robotic perception and computer vision, as part of a bigger team that explores human-robot interaction on the road. We are aiming to make progress on a key challenge to unlock the full potential of artificial intelligence in a human world: how do we make machines more safely and effectively interact with humans to augment their capabilities?As a Research Scientist
, you will work with a multidisciplinary team proposing, conducting, and transferring innovative research in various aspects of robotic perception toward human-centric applications in driving, including high-performance driving. You will build prototypes that test your ideas in the real world and publish them at top academic venues. You will help to transfer and ship our most successful algorithms and models toward real-world advanced assistance systems, touching millions of lives. Responsibilities
- Conduct ambitious research in perception for robotic systems that solve open problems of high practical value and validate it in real-world benchmarks and systems.
- Implement state of the art perception algorithms and research to run in real-time as a part of a high performance system including planning and control.
- Push the boundaries of knowledge and the state of the art in Human-Machine Interaction and Shared Control in robotics and driving contexts.
- Partner with a multidisciplinary team including other research scientists and engineers across the Human Interactive Driving team, TRI, Toyota, and our university partners.
- Stay up to date on the state-of-the-art in computer vision and robotic perception.
- Present results in verbal and written communications, internally, at top international venues, and via open-source contributions to the community.
- Lead collaborations with our external research partners (e.g., MIT, Stanford, UMich) and mentor research interns.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in a quantitative field (e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Chemistry). Ph.D. or deep expertise in one key area (Computer Vision, Robotics) or related fields.
- Proficient in scientific Python, Unix, and robotic frameworks (e.g. ROS2.0), as well as common DL frameworks (preferably PyTorch). Experience with distributed learning (especially on AWS) is a plus.
- Proficient in practical computer vision for robotic systems, include experience with geometric computer vision such as camera calibration, optimization and filtering/smoothing framework, key point, and descriptor extraction.
- Consistent track record of publishing at high-impact conferences/journals (CVPR, CoRL, RSS, ICRA, ICCV, ECCV, PAMI, IJCV, etc.), centered around computer vision and perception.
- You can identify, propose, and lead new research projects, working in collaboration with other researchers and engineers to complete it from initial idea to working solution.
- You are passionate about developing and applying human-centric artificial intelligence for societal good.
- You are a reliable team-player. You like to think big and go deeper. You care about openness and delivering with integrity.
Please add a link to Google Scholar and include a full list of publications when submitting your CV to this position.Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people with unique backgrounds, education and life experiences. We are dedicated to fostering an innovative and collaborative environment by living the values that are an essential part of our culture. We believe diversity makes us stronger and are proud to provide Equal Employment Opportunity for all, without regard to an applicant's race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.Los Altos, CA; Cambridge, MA /Human Interactive Driving - Human Interactive Driving /Full-time/ Hybrid