The Senior Director, Clinical Science will be an essential contributor to the scientific, clinical, and operational scope of clinical development programs with an emphasis on program-specific activities. The (Senior) Director, Clinical Science will drive the design, planning, and implementation of study protocols for assigned investigational products and will play a key role in supporting related regulatory activities. This role will work on cross-functional program development and study management teams for the design, execution, and monitoring of clinical trials, as well as assist with data interpretation and communication to both internal and external stakeholders. This individual may also help support internal process improvement initiatives within the clinical department. Job Responsibilities:
Qualifications (including knowledge & skills):
- Partner with cross-functional program- and study-level teams to oversee the conduct of clinical studies, including operational feasibility, data management deliverables, preparation of meeting materials, communication plans, safety and medical monitoring, preparation of status update reports, and study close-out activities.
- Perform medical and related safety/efficacy data reviews. May be responsible for analytical support of clinical trial data, including gathering, analyzing, reviewing, interpreting, and providing preliminary assessments and recommendations. Analyze information to assess issues relating to protocol conduct and/or individual subject safety. Prepare and communicate a clear overview of trial results.
- Provide organizational support for Data Monitoring Committees other applicable data review committees including operationalizing the charter, preparing updates and data reviews, execution of meetings and adjudications, and communication of synthesized data reports.
- Author protocols and contribute to authoring of clinical study reports, IBs, ICFs, training documents, and other clinical and regulatory documents.
- Interact with internal and external stakeholders (study sites, vendors, committees, etc.) in support of program-level development strategy as well as clinical trial objectives; responds to or triages questions for appropriate escalations.
- Act as recognized clinical expert for assigned programs.
- Write and/or review collaborative abstracts, posters, and content for scientific meetings, conferences and publications. Support publication strategy execution including collaboration with investigators, KOLs, medical affairs and other internal/external stakeholders. Present at investigator meetings and scientific conferences.
- Conduct literature reviews as needed.
- Line management of junior clinical scientists.
- PhD degree in health science field, PharmD, MD or non-US equivalent, or other relevant advanced degree in a health science field.
- At least 8+ years of experience for Director, and 12+ years of experience for Senior Director at a pharmaceutical, CRO or biotechnology company as a clinical scientist or related role.
- Experience in oncology or oncology immunotherapy clinical trials required.
- Late-stage drug development experience required.
- Experience in lung cancer trials preferred.
- Experience with data analysis and interpretation as an understanding of safety and pharmacovigilance principles required.
Professional and Personal Requirements:
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate, interpret and present complex scientific data (preclinical, clinical, translational) to inform scientific hypotheses and development strategy. Working knowledge of biostatistics, GCP, and regulatory requirements for clinical studies.
- Must be willing and possess the expertise to work effectively in a fast-paced, team-based matrix environment as well as the ability to function independently as appropriate. Flexible to accommodate changes in team and project needs.
- Ability to handle multiple projects at a time and have a strong attention to detail while understanding the higher-level strategy.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Ability to make independent, timely and appropriate decisions.
This role can be based at our SSF/Brisbane, CA location (preferred) or can be remote based. The anticipated salary range for fully qualified candidates applying for this position is $250,000 - $270,000 USD annually. This salary range is an estimate of what we reasonably expect to pay for this posted position. The actual salary may vary based on various factors including, without limitation, individual education, experience, tenure, skills and abilities, internal equity and alignment with market data. In addition to a competitive market-based salary, Arcus offers the opportunity to participate in stock programs, a performance-based bonus, and a comprehensive benefits package. Additional information about our total rewards program can be found here:
Arcus Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Arcus is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, sex, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other legally protected status. EOE/AA/Vets