Role Title: Curation Expert
About the Role:
Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is the global pharmaceutical research organization of Novartis. With approximately 5,600 scientists and physicians around the world, our research is focused on discovering innovative new drugs that will change the practice of medicine. We have an open and entrepreneurial culture, encouraging collaboration to make effective therapies.
We believe that data is one of the key differentiation factors for the success of a research organization and effective data management is a crucial component to thrive in the digital age.
Come join our Research Informatics (NX) team where you are close to our scientists and our purpose to innovate, improve and extend people's lives through the power of data & technology in one of the most distinguished Pharma Research organizations in the world. Become part of our newly established Hyderabad Data Ingestion team and contribute to shaping a world-class data ingestion capability.
As a Curation Expert you will be curating external and internal large and complex datasets of use by NIBR to speed up data science. You will develop curation strategies to increase the value and scientific impact of NIBR data and apply techniques to streamline and accelerate data integration and analysis. You will work closely with Ontology experts and collaborate with them in developing required vocabularies of need in your curation activities.
• Act as broadly experienced specialist working collaboratively with NIBR scientists, data scientists, data architects and product owners to validate, cleanse, normalize, harmonize, or enrich large scale experimental data
• Raise awareness of data standards and data management best practices and provide guidance in improving overall data quality by diligently assessing FAIR maturity of given data sets
• Use ontologies and terminologies to assist in the disambiguation, semantic integration, and organization of a wide variety of biomedical data sets
• Contribute to the use of automated or semi-automated curation services and the implementation of well documented and reproducible rule sets
• Collaboratively solve complex data modeling and integration problems
• Provide expert advice and promote text or data mining techniques to leverage integration of structured or unstructured content.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
We are committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
• Master’s degree or similar qualification in - and a deep understanding of - drug discovery domains like medicine, chemistry, biology, or a related field
• Demonstrated experience in data curation and data management
• Adequate work experience in drug discovery or a core supporting scientific field
• Broad knowledge of existing biomedical ontologies and data standards like MeSH and CDISC
• Demonstrated experience in the curation and integration of data relating to one or more of medical science, biochemistry, medicinal chemistry, molecular biology, or genomics
• Basic proficiency in linguistics, natural language processing, text analytics or data mining
• Ability to query data management systems of different kinds
• Knowledge of scripting languages would be a strong advantage
Why Novartis: Our purpose is to reimagine medicine to improve and extend people’s lives and our vision is to become the most valued and trusted medicines company in the world. How can we achieve this? With our people. It is our associates that drive us each day to reach our ambitions. Be a part of this mission and join us! Learn more here: https://www.novartis.com/about/strategy/people-and-culture
You’ll receive: You can find everything you need to know about our benefits and rewards in the Novartis Life Handbook. https://www.novartis.com/careers/benefits-rewards
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams' representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network