12,000. The number of associates worldwide working together to reimagine medicine!
The Global Drug Development (GDD) organization oversees the development of new medicines discovered by our researchers and partners. We transform the lives of people by developing innovative and life-changing medicines.
The Associate Director Science & Technology will be a key member of the Process Development leadership team.
This individual and his/her/their team will be accountable for process development activities for current and future programs including/not limited to process development/optimization, technology transfers (internal and external), manufacturing support, and development of source documents for regulatory filings. He/She/They will have expertise in the field of process development for cell therapies is essential. Growth mentality and passion to serve patients, his/her technical team and development programs, and demonstrated people leadership is a must.
What you'll be doing:
• Provide strategic, technical and scientific leadership to the cell process development team, to develop, optimize, and characterize robust cell therapy processes and new technology evaluation and implementation.
• Collaborate closely with peer function teams and communicate complex technical topics and decisions within the department and to program teams and provide effective technical and business leadership at the R&D-CMC interface.
• Ensure seamless transition of unit operations from bench-scale to clinical scale, and from open to closed manufacturing systems to develop a robust process control strategy.
• Work collaboratively with process development leadership to develop and/or optimize cell therapy platforms (T cells and Stem cell therapies), to support Novartis Cell Therapy’s multi-product portfolio of clinical development programs.
• Provide strategic leadership and influence for the development and tech transfer of process platforms to support manufacturing of cell therapy products across a network of internal and external manufacturing sites.
• Develop, lead and coach a group of engineers/scientists through direct supervision and/or as matrix leader.
• Author and review regulatory submissions and responses to questions from health authorities.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $151,200 and $226,800 year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• PhD or equivalent in Cell Biology / Immunology / Bioprocessing or related scientific field. A combination of applicable technical knowledge, leadership, and education may be suitable to meet the requirements of this role.
• 9+ years of relevant experience in process and medium development for processing for primary cells (T-cells, stem cells) for autologous and/or allogeneic cell production is strictly required.
• Strong fundamental knowledge of cell biology, immunology and existing cell culture process technology is expected. Proven track record in utilization of special tools/equipment, lab automation tools and specialized facilities. Hands-on interest and experience with respective analytical methods is preferred.
• Demonstrated experience leading process development initiatives in support of cell therapies, or protein biologics manufacturing, early- and late-stage.
• Proficiency in strategic planning, team dynamic management, and technical leadership.
• Proven leadership experience and strong people management skills with the desire and ability to deliver on objectives while developing people in a fast-paced environment.
• Demonstrated ability to influence scientific and business strategies and decisions via collaboration, communication, team building, creative thinking, and organizational skills are required.
236 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2022, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Accessibility and reasonable accommodations
The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.