Nursing-Registered (Medical-Surgical Nursing) Instructor, (Full-Time, Tenure Track) - AMENDED
Faculty (Credit Program)
Salary (Applicant View):
Initial salary placement is based on verified and accepted educational/work experience in accordance with the current City College of San Francisco Faculty Salary Schedule. The annual salary range upon entry is from $61,200 to $93,240 for 175 days of service or pro-rated for one semester or fewer days of service. New full-time faculty hires will have two additional service days, in their first year of service only, for the purpose of attending mandatory new faculty orientation. They will receive "independent flex credit" for such attendance, but no additional pay.
CONTRACT: FIRST YEAR (PROBATIONARY)
TENURE-TRACK (ONE OR MORE POSITIONS)
(BASED ON AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS)
EC §§87602-87615 as amended by SB2298 (1990)
Faculty - Tenure-Track
Full Time/Part Time:
1. Assume the role and responsibilities of theory, simulation, and clinical instructor in the Medical-Surgical Nursing course.
2. Organize, plan curriculum, and assume responsibility in the areas of theory, simulation, skills laboratory, and clinical experience.
3. Act as liaison to schools and agencies as it relates to the Medical-Surgical Nursing curriculum.
4. Supervise, instruct, and evaluate the nursing students' performance in the simulation exercises and clinical facilities.
5. Meet weekly with the lead instructor to discuss and plan ongoing course work and student performance.
6. Document student clinical performance and confer with the students about their performance.
7. Identify students doing poorly in theory and clinical; confer with and refer students to early assistance.
8. Teach students the nursing process, nursing diagnosis, and nursing care plans pertinent to the nursing problems of the adult client.
9. Make patient assignments at the assigned clinical facility the day prior to clinical, as required.
10. Correct clinical papers submitted by students with appropriate
11. Effectively communicate with the staff in clinical area regarding course objectives, student assignments and student performance, and be actively involved in every aspect of the Student Learning Outcome assessment process.
12. Attend nursing faculty, curriculum, and other committee meetings as required by the Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) and the Nursing Department to have a more well-rounded knowledge of the nursing program.
13. Participate in departmental and college functions, such as staff meetings, committee work, faculty evaluations, curriculum development, revision, development and assessment of student learning outcomes and others.
14. Maintain currency in the field of medical surgical nursing (area of specialty) and application of QSEN (Quality and Safety Education in Nursing).
15. This full-time position requires an assignment of 3 lecture hours and 18 clinical hours each week. This is 15 Instructional units each semester in addition to additional requirements as identified by the college and the California Board of Registered Nursing. Assignments may include instruction during the day, evening, and weekends.
16. Utilize other agencies for clinical experience; willing to work flexible hours.
17. Teach students to apply critical thinking/reasoning to their clinical practice.
18. Adhere to the policies, rules, and regulations established by the Board of Trustees of San Francisco Community College District, the California Community Colleges, and the provisions of the California Education Code.
19. Perform other related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
CITY COLLEGE OF SAN FRANCISCO MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
1. Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and abilities to work with community college students with disabilities, various sexual orientations, and diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds (Required).
2. Earned Master's Degree in Nursing from an accredited institution; OR THE EQUIVALENT;
Earned Bachelor's Degree in Nursing from an accredited institution AND earned Master's Degree in Health Education or Administration from an accredited institution.
[The degree major(s) posted on an applicant's transcript(s) must be exactly as listed above under the degree requirements. Otherwise applicant must claim education equivalency for the formal educational requirement. The "Faculty Equivalency Application Form" is available on
the left side margin. This form will be considered as part of the application materials and must be submitted on or before the filing deadline as indicated on this job posting.]
[If you have previously gone through the education equivalency for this same subject area from City College of San Francisco OR you have obtained the clarification of your "major" from the department chair/dean of the institution you attended in order to meet the minimum qualification for this job posting, you must submit a copy of the information. When attaching this document, please use the "Equivalency Application Form" link.]
3. Possess a current California Registered Nurse License.
4. Direct patient care experience within the previous five (5) years in the nursing area to which the faculty is assigned can be met by one of the following:
(A) One (1) year's continuous, full-time or its equivalent experience providing direct patient care as a registered nurse in the designated nursing area (Medical-Surgical) OR
(B) One (1) academic year of registered nurse level clinical teaching experience in the designated nursing area or its equivalent that demonstrates clinical competency.
5. Completion of at least one (1) year's experience teaching courses related to registered nursing or completion of a post-baccalaureate course which includes practice in teaching registered nursing.
Employment is contingent upon the approval of the Board of Registered Nursing and verification of minimum qualifications.
1. Teaching experience in Medical-Surgical Nursing in one of the following:
(a) Accredited RN Nursing Program;
(b) In-Service Educator in Medical-Surgical Health Care Facility;
(c ) Completion of graduate level course work which included practice teaching in nursing.
2. Demonstrated ability to utilize a variety of teaching strategies and a commitment to equity and social justice.
3. Demonstrated ability to present material to students utilizing current clinical data in a competent and interesting manner.
4. Demonstrated ability to utilize computers in curriculum development, classroom instruction, and student assignments.
5. Ability to motivate and direct students toward professional goals.
6. Effective oral and written communication skills.
7. Ability to initiate and maintain contact with the professional community as needed by the program.
8. Knowledge and skills reflective of industry trends, standards, and practices.
9. Ability to use tact and sensitivity in communicating with students, hospital staff, and faculty.
10. Agree to work clinical, theory, or lecture hours as assigned. These hours may vary due to student need.
11. Demonstrate knowledge, skills, and abilities to work with community college students with disabilities, various sexual orientations, and diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds (Required).
In accordance with the collective bargaining agreement between the SFCCD and AFT Local 2121, fringe benefits include a choice of several health plans, plus $50,000 Group Life Insurance and Dental Care Plan.
New employees hired on or after January 1, 2014 will contribute 2% of salary to the San Francisco Retiree Health Care Trust Fund (RHCTF).
To apply for this posting, start by completing an online Faculty Position Application Form at http://jobs.ccsf.edu. To be considered a candidate for this posting, the following materials must be submitted and received by the Human Resources Department on or before 12:00 a.m. of the posting filing deadline. Substitution of required document(s) is not permitted.
Applicant: Please do not send any application materials to the Department Chair. Human Resources Department is not responsible for any documents addressed and/or sent to the Department Chair.
1. A detailed letter expressing interest in the position, indicating specifically how the minimum qualifications and as many as possible of the desirable qualifications will be fulfilled. Minimum and desirable qualifications are listed in this posting. The letter should also address the applicant's background and skills in the areas stated in the Examples of Duties and discuss Student Learning Outcomes and any remediations.
2. A current resume summarizing educational background, teaching experience, and related work experience.
3. A City College of San Francisco Electronic Faculty Position Application completed in full and applied to this specific posting online. The statement "See Resume" is not acceptable.
4. Three (3) current telephone references within one year of date of application. The list of reference must include current supervisors/employers, colleagues or other professionals who have knowledge of the responsibilities/duties specific to this type of position.
5. Copies of transcripts verifying the degrees and majors as listed on applicant's CCSF Application Form; official transcripts and actual verification of work experience will be required at a later date. [NOTE: Degrees and majors must be posted on transcripts to be considered in the application process. Foreign degree(s) must be evaluated before an application can be processed. Foreign Degree Evaluation sources information is located on the left side margin.]
6. Diversity Statement: Separate from your letter of interest, submit a concise response using only one page to discuss how your course content and teaching methods meet the needs of culturally and academically diverse learners. List classes or professional development activities you have participated in that directly relate to working with diverse student populations. (Note: Substitution of "diversity statement" with a "teaching philosophy" document will be automatically disqualified.)
7. Copy of current California Registered Nursing License. Applicant: Please use the "Copy of Applicable License(s)" link to upload your license.
Applicants bear the sole responsibility for ensuring that all application materials are complete when submitted and are received by the Human Resources Department by 12:00 a.m. on the posting filing deadline. Postmarks will not be honored. Emails are not acceptable. Incomplete application packages will not be considered. All materials become the property of the City College of San Francisco, and will not be returned. Application files for this posting will not be considered for other postings.
For additional assistance, please call Human Resources Department at (415) 452-7660.
Applicants who require a reasonable accommodation to participate in this hiring process should contact the Human Resources Department at (415) 452-7660 to make the necessary arrangements. Please be aware that verification of a covered disability under the ADA may be required.
Selection Procedure/Conditions of Employment:
Applicants who meet all minimum qualifications and have all required application documents in the CCSF Human Resources Department on or before the filing deadline will be included in the initial review processes to be conducted by the Search Committee. A reasonable number of applicants who are judged by the Committee as best matching the requirements of the position will be invited for a personal interview with the Search Committee. An additional interview will be offered to applicants who are advanced beyond the initial interviews.
City College of San Francisco requires that new and current employees participate in the Covid Safety Campaign. All employees must demonstrate proof of Covid vaccination. New hires must submit documentation for verification to the Human Resources Department.
Employees must satisfy all the pre-employment requirements for a CCSF Release to Work Authorization Certificate prior to appointment which include, but are not limited to, tuberculosis clearance (EC 87408.6), fingerprinting processing, and verification of their legal right to work in the United States.
City College of San Francisco reserves the right at its sole discretion to modify or to rescind this job posting at any time without prior notice.
It is the policy of the City College of San Francisco to provide all persons with equal employment and educational opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, national origin, ethnic group identification, religion, age, gender, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, disability or AIDS/HIV status, medical conditions, gender identity, or status as a Vietnam-Era veteran. These categories specifically include status as a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or questioning person in any District program or activity. For further information, contact the Human Resources Department at (415) 452-7660.
Job Open Date:
Open Until Filled:
Joyce Coffey, Department Chairperson
Special Instructions to Applicant:
AMENDED to reflect updated bold language in Selection Procedure/Conditions of Employment.
AMENDED TO REFLECT BOLDED LANGUAGE IN THE SELECTION PROCEDURES/CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT SECTION.
AMENDED TO REFLECT UPDATED CONTACT INFORMATION FOR TITLE 5/EEO/ADA IN THE ADA & EEO STATEMENT SECTIONS.