Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best in class medicines to patients around the world.What You Will Achieve
As part of the Comparative Medicine team, you will support Comparative Medicine (CM) by delivering high quality clinical veterinary medicine throughout the animal facilities. There is regular interaction with colleagues fulfilling the key regulatory responsibilities of the applicable local regulations and AAALAC International guidelines. Some aspects of veterinary care will be delegated to veterinary technical staff through the consultation on minor treatments and interventions.
It is your hard work along with innovative ideas and focus that will help in making Pfizer ready to achieve new milestones and help patients across the globe.How You Will Achieve It
- Provide high quality veterinary care to diverse species of research animals in support of Pfizer's portfolio. Complete duties delegated by the Attending Veterinarian (AV) for all facilities. Veterinary direction is provided to veterinary technician staff assigned to the animal facilities. Support continued compliance by fulfilling the AV responsibilities specified in the applicable local regulations, codes and guidelines.
- Review or consult on research animal proposals submitted for IACUC review. Serve on a rotational basis to provide veterinary care coverage on weekends and holidays.
- Maintain the relevant sections of the animal care program, SOPs, and training documents to assure the quality of site operations and regulatory compliance.
- Interact with in vivo scientists to understand their research needs, engaging them in a flexible and constructive manner to address matters of ethical review with a focus on 3Rs, humane endpoints and adverse effects. Provide input to CM research projects in support of Pfizer's portfolio.
- Train colleagues in CM and other Research and Development lines in techniques and principles which promote 3Rs, in particular anesthesia and analgesia as well as reported in the literature and communicated at external meetings.
- Support the AV to maintain compliance and to provide advice on regulatory animal health matters, for example import/export of animals and by-products.
- Assist in the conduct of internal audits and other inspections and on occasion assist with the evaluation of third party facility inspections and audits by acting as a CM expert.
- Consult on animal model development to assist researchers as necessary. Aid in the evaluation of new equipment to facilitate the execution of technical projects.
- Actively participate on or lead CM teams. May be required to work under one of the following: The United States Department of Agriculture Animal Welfare Act and associated Regulations and Standards, the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, Good Laboratory Practices, Public Health Service Policy and/or AAALAC accreditation standards.
• DVM with 2+ years experience required; licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the US
• Board certified by ACLAM or other relevant certification in the US (or equivalent board certification) required
• Laboratory animal medicine experience with a record of increased responsibilities and accomplishments.
• Must possess a clear understanding of regulations and guidance (e.g., USDA, GLP) and AAALAC accreditation Standards related to the use of animals in research, teaching, and testing.
• Nonhuman primate experience
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
For this position, if at a site with nonhuman primates, you are expected to enter the nonhuman primate areas as part of your job responsibilities, a pre-hire requirement is either providing proof of measles immunity or receiving the measles vaccination before hire.NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
This is an essential personnel role: Essential Personnel are defined as the staff who are required to report to their designated work location, to ensure the operation of essential functions or departments during an emergency, as determined by Pfizer, or when the business has suspended operations. There are some individuals who may be required to perform essential services remotely and those individuals will be identified in advance and notified by their supervisors, but in most cases Essential Personnel are required to be on-site during an emergency or suspension of operations.
- Relocation support available
- Eligible for Employee Referral
- Work Location Assignment:On Premise
- Last Day to Apply- December 8, 2023
The annual base salary for this position ranges from $127,400.00 to $212,200.00. In addition, this position is eligible for participation in Pfizer's Global Performance Plan with a bonus target of 17.5% of the base salary and eligibility to participate in our share based long term incentive program. We offer comprehensive and generous benefits and programs to help our colleagues lead healthy lives and to support each of life's moments. Benefits offered include a 401(k) plan with Pfizer Matching Contributions and an additional Pfizer Retirement Savings Contribution, paid vacation, holiday and personal days, paid caregiver/parental and medical leave, and health benefits to include medical, prescription drug, dental and vision coverage. Learn more at Pfizer Candidate Site - U.S. Benefits | (uscandidates.mypfizerbenefits.com). Pfizer compensation structures and benefit packages are aligned based on the location of hire. The United States salary range provided does not apply to Tampa, FL or any location outside of the United States.
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development