Position Information Position Title
Assistant Professor of Physics/Physics EducationJob Type
The Department of Natural Sciences (DNS) at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) invites applications for a nine-month, tenure-track position beginning January 1, 2024. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
DNS houses the biology, chemistry, biochemistry, and environmental science undergraduate programs and graduate programs in Chemistry, Marine-Estuarine and Environmental Sciences (MEES), and Toxicology. We seek candidates who can teach gateway physics courses for science and engineering undergraduate students and have the expertise to bridge these programs to build interdisciplinary undergraduate training opportunities. Candidates having expertise/experience in Education Research (ER) based pedagogy and hands-on active learning using sensor-based data acquisition systems will be given priority. We seek candidates who have the capacity to teach to a diverse student population and prepare students broadly for futures in industry, government, and graduate and professional schools. Responsibilities
- Teach algebra-based physics courses and laboratories and an additional course in astronomy, medical biophysics, or environmental physics.
- Develop courses using active learning/scientific teaching.
- Write grant proposals and develop an extramurally funded research program.
- Mentor undergraduate students through their capstone research experiences.
- Contribute to departmental and program self-governance.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
25-0000 Education, Training, and Library OccupationsRequired Qualifications
- PhD in Physics or Physics Education.
- Experience teaching and/or mentoring undergraduates and implementing research projects.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- A record of scholarship as evidenced by publications and/or external funding activities.
- Experience teaching and mentoring undergraduate students.
- Expertise/experience in Education Research (ER) based pedagogy and hands-on active learning using sensor-based data acquisition systems.
- Ability to develop an independent research program in areas related to departmental/university foci, including biophysics, environmental physics, student learning outcomes.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ability to motivate and inspire a diverse student body to be successful.
N/A EEO Statement
UMES is an EEO/AA employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, marital status, genetic information, or political affiliation. Minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The successful candidate must be able to show acceptable documentation establishing the right to accept employment in the United States of America without employer sponsorship. FLSA
Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Posting Detail Information Posting Number
F00235PApplication/Resume deadlineOpen Until Filled
YesResume/Application ProcessApplication review will begin immediately and continue until filled
. Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae including publication list, a statement of teaching philosophy, approach, and experience, a statement that describes the applicant's prior and current research and their vision and plans to include undergraduate students future research/scholarship, and a statement that describes the applicant's commitment to and experience in promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion and the names of three current, professional references to include an e-mail address and telephone number. (References will not be contacted without the candidate's prior consent).
Please visit https://umes.peopleadmin.com
to apply. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Dr. Jonathan Cumming, Professor and Chair, Department of Natural Sciences, Email: email@example.com Telephone: 410-651-6014. The successful candidate must be able to accept employment in the United States without Employer Immigration sponsorship. Job Posting Link