Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents, and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle's work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Our Energy & Resilience Division in the Environment & Infrastructure Business Unit specializes in providing innovative approaches to solving difficult problems in the areas of low carbon energy, hydrogen infrastructure, geothermal energy, and rare earth/critical mineral security. Our clients include large and small oil and gas companies, engineering companies, electric utilities, and federal and state governments.
Our Energy & Resilience Division is currently seeking a Senior Materials Scientist
. This position is located in Columbus, OH or Morgantown, WV
We are seeking a proactive Senior Materials Scientist who thrives on delivering top-notch results. At Battelle, innovation and collaboration coexist, with every challenge being a team endeavor. In this role, you'll not only leverage your current experience but also frequently venture into new realms, constantly upgrading your expertise. Your adaptability and zeal for acquiring new skills will be instrumental in devising unique, ground-breaking solutions.
This position stands at the heart of groundbreaking endeavors in the metallurgical sector, especially focused on critical minerals, rare earth, and alternative replacement technologies. You'll be working on conceptualizing and materializing unique metallurgical processes, leading projects from their lab-scale initiation to pilot and large-scale industrial implementations. Our clientele includes both commercial and industrial sectors as well as government bodies like the Department of Energy and the Department of Defense.Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership, ensure technical prowess, originality, and creativity in the field of rare earth and critical mineral technologies across the value chain.
- Collaborate extensively within the organization and externally to achieve unparalleled results.
- Oversee experimental design, metallurgical process modeling, lab and pilot experiments, data scrutiny, and reporting.
- Provide thought leadership in assigned field through conference presentations, technical publications, and oral/written communication to customers.
- Innovation & Intellectual Property: Enhance our existing technical portfolio and pioneer new intellectual property through internal research programs.
- Bachelor's Degree in Materials Science & Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering or a related field with 5 years of experience or Master's Degree in related field with 2 years of experience or PhD.
- Adept at metallurgical process modeling and analysis.
- Proven capability to juggle multiple projects and roles simultaneously.
- Stellar communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Sole U.S. Citizen.
Benefits: Live an Extraordinary Life
- Bachelor's Degree in Materials Science & Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering or a related field with 8 years of experience Master's Degree in related field with 5 years of experience or PhD with 2 years of experience.
- Practical exposure in the field of rare earth refining.
- Acumen in developmental chemistry and analysis.
- Proven experience in process development and scale up.
- Prior dealings with the Department of Energy and other Government funding bodies.
We care about your well-being, not just on the job. Battelle offers comprehensive and competitive benefits to help you live your best life.
A Work Environment Where You Succeed
- Balance life through a compressed work schedule : Most of our team follows a flexible, compressed work schedule that allows for every other Friday off-giving you a dedicated day to accomplish things in your personal life without using vacation time.
- Take time to recharge : You get paid time off to support work-life balance and keep motivated.
- Prioritize wellness : Stay healthy with medical, dental, and vision coverage with wellness incentives and benefits plus a variety of optional supplemental benefits.
- Better together : Coverage for partners, gender-affirming care and health support, and family formation support.
- Build your financial future : Build financial stability with an industry-leading 401(k) retirement savings plan. For most employees, we put in 5 percent whether you contribute or not, and match your contributions on top of that.
- Advance your education : Tuition assistance is available to pursue higher education.
- Flexible work arrangements : You have options for where you work and when you work.
For brilliant minds in science, technology, engineering and business operations, Battelle is the place to do the greatest good by solving humanity's most pressing challenges and creating a safer, healthier and more secure world.
You will have the opportunity to thrive in a culture that inspires you to:
Vaccinations & Safety Protocols
- Apply your talent to challenging and meaningful projects
- Receive select funding to pursue ideas in scientific and technological discovery
- Collaborate with world-class experts in an inclusive environment
- Nurture and develop the next generation of scientific leaders
- Give back to and improve our communities
Battelle may require employees, based on job duties, work location, and/or its clients' requirements to follow certain safety protocols and to be vaccinated against a variety of viruses, bacteria, and diseases as a condition of employment and continued employment and to provide documentation that they are fully vaccinated. If applicable, Battelle will provide reasonable accommodations based on a qualified disability or medical condition through the Americans with Disabilities Act or the Rehabilitation Act or for a sincerely held religious belief under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (and related state laws).
Battelle is an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle's Legal Department.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers