Summer Support Services Date Posted:
Waltham Public Schools District Date Available:
06/27/2022 Closing Date:
08/11/2022 School Nurse-Extendend Year Program
Position Summary: The purpose of this position is to perform professional nursing duties to advance the well-being, safety and academic success of students of the Waltham Public Schools. The School Nurse performs nursing services in schools to prevent the spread of illness and disease.Description of Duties:(The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.)
Supervision: Supervision Scope:Supervises students' health status.Supervision Given and Received:Works under the general direction of the Superintendent of Schools and the direct supervision of the building Principal and/or the Summer Program Coordinator. Qualifications: Qualified applicants must forward cover letter, resume, transcripts, proof of license as well as three current letters of recommendation.Education, Training and Experience:
- Complies with MA Board of Registration of Nursing and MA Department of Education regulations.
- Respond promptly to emergencies and administer first aid to students/staff.
- Triages student/staff with an injury, illness, or accident and provides appropriate interventions.
- Reviews immunization status for all students to ensure compliance with MA DPH regulations.
- Provides medically prescribed interventions based on state regulations.
- Serves as a health advocate.
- Monitors exclusions and readmission of students in connection with infectious and contagious diseases.
- Administers medication in compliance with school policy and state regulations
- Instructs students and staff in standard precautions.
- Assists school personnel in identifying health and safety conditions.
- Collaborates with school staff regarding safety plans for students with special needs.
- Provides individual and group health instruction.
- Collaborates with school personnel on health education topics.
- Reports to parents regarding individual student health issues in a timely manner.
- Reports all suspected cases of child abuse and neglect in compliance with state regulations.
- Maintains a daily log of health service activities.
- Maintains a Massachusetts School Health record for every student.
- Advises school staff of students' health issues that may impact learning in compliance with federal and state laws.
- Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing from an accredited college or university
- CPR certified
- Bilingual Preferred (Spanish)
- Knowledge of pediatric health issues and case management.
- Knowledge of current community health issues.
- Knowledge of communicable disease in the community setting.
- Knowledge of federal, state and municipal public health laws and the policies. and procedures of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
- Knowledge of the Massachusetts Nurse Practice Act.
- Ability to provide nursing care to students including assessment of injuries and illness.
- Ability to administer first aid and CPR.
- Ability to respond promptly to emergencies including carrying an emergency bag, climbing stairs, pushing a student in a wheelchair.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, staff, and supervisors.
- Ability to work independently and carry out assigned projects to their completion.
- Ability to use and apply technology including computerization of health data.
- Ability to delegate medications and treatments within the guidelines of the Massachusetts Nurse Practice Act.
Salary: As per the WEA contract; $38 per hour.
- Skilled in CPR with AED, and first aid for children and adults.
- Skilled in student health assessment and nursing care.
- Skilled in continuously evaluating and improving student health and safety.
- Skilled in instructing and supervising unlicensed staff for delegated tasks.
Non-Discrimination Notice: Waltham Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, gender identity or sexual orientation.
Waltham Public Schools has partnered with the Massachusetts Partnership for Diversity in Education (MPDE) in our effort to welcome diverse candidates to our school system. We value and prioritize the hiring of educators who bring a wealth of perspectives and experiences to our schools, and who reflect the diversity of the students we serve.